Difference between Neo-Cytamen Hydroxocobalamin Chloride and Mercury pharma Hydroxocobalamin Acetate

Hello...

Went to collect my B12 ampoules from chemist this afternoon and realised instead of being given my usual brand Neo-Cytamen they have given me the Mercury Pharma brand.

The former contains hydroxocobalamin Chloride 1000 microgram/ml and the latter Hydroxocobalamin Acetate 1mg/ml. On the information leaflet of the acetate it states: This injection contains less than 1 mmol (23mg) of sodium per 2ml (essentially "sodium free"). What does that mean exactly? On the box ingredients listed are: hydroxocobalamin equivalent to 1mg hydroxocobalamin. Also contains acetic acid and sodium chloride in water for injections.

The Neo-Cytamin contains 1027 micrograms of Hydroxocobalamin chloride/ml (equivalent to 1000 micrograms of hydroxocobalamin/ml). Also contains glacial acetic acid (E260), sodium chloride, water. What is the difference between "glacial" acetic acid and plain acetic acid?

So am wondering if the B12 from Mercury Pharma is as potent as the one from Neo-Cytamen? Would be interested to hear from anyone who has used the Mercury Pharma after using the Neo-Cytamen brand: Have you found any difference at all?

Which is the best?

Thanks for commenting.

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • They are, essentially, identical.

The hydroxocobalamin chloride will dissociate into hydroxocobalamin and chloride ions when it dissolves. The acetic acid (glacial acetic acid is just more concentrated, it's irrelevant once it's in water) will produce acetate ions and hydrogen ions. The sodium chloride will produce sodium and chloride ions.

So the solution will contain hydroxocobalamin, sodium ions, chloride ions, hydrogen ions and acetate ions.

The hydroxocobalamin acetate will dissociate into hydroxocobalamin and acetate ions. Acetic acid and sodium chloride will behave as before,

So the solution will contain hydroxocobalamin, sodium ions, chloride ions, hydrogen ions and acetate ions.

Both end up containing the same amount of hydroxocobalamin and roughly the same amount of other ions.

• So I should not notice any difference at all? Thanks fbirder for prompt reply.

• Wow, you're good!!!! 😁

• Thanks ☺️

It's fairly basic chemistry - but only if you've studied it.

• True fbirder... have only studied chemistry to A level, many decades ago... I understand you studied it at degree level and appreciate your concise explanations. Thanks again.

• Hi JGBH

I was started on Cytamen (cyanocobamalin) every 4 weeks 45 years ago and then sometime during the 1980s Neo-Cytamen (Hydroxocobamalin) was introduced allegedly because P.A. sufferers would then only need to have their injections every three months.

Sadly I had an adverse reaction to the Neo-Cytamen and certainly couldn't last the three months so i have continued on the old Cytamen ever since and now have it injected every three weeks - at the age of 75.

• Thanks for your response Clive. I have been having Neo-Cytamen since I stated the injections in February and was a little dismayed to see the chemist gave me a different brand and just wanted to make sure the Mercury Pharma hydroxocobalamin would be just as efficient as that of Neo-Cytamen.

You may also like...