Hi, Nice to meet you all. I am a 36 year old, new on this site. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with some advice. After going to my GP with fatigue, weight loss and the development of a spreading rash (petechiae) on my arms following treatment for severe gastritis with omeprazole for a couple of months I have been diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency level 179, folic acid deficiency level 2.2 and low iron stores level 26. I have had problems with pins and needles in my legs on/off for months and had earlier been treated for a vitamin D deficiency late last year. I have also experienced recent problems with upper back pain. My memory has also not been as good as normal.
My levels had been checked at the end of last year and were all normal. However, I had been taking the occassional multivitamin which may have affected this? I don't think my diet is drastically bad, fish etc included. However, I acknowledge it could be better.
My GP had commenced loading vit b12 injections and folic acid at 5mg a day. I didn't know that i should have had the first injection prior to taking the folic acid for 2 days pending the injections. Which is what I did. I managed 3 of the injections and was continuing the folic acid and iron during this and then got even more confused than what I was before starting. I got lost in a building I had been in before several times and had diarrhoea. Following which I was told not to take anything for a week and then to omit the iron completely just now. The injections were rescheduled and i was told that i should take this high dose folic acid at least 3 times a week. I have had major problems with abdominal cramps, gastritis symptoms, nausea and diarrhoea for several days. I also have no appetite in comparison to reduced appetite before. I have just had the 4th injection and started folic acid again today. It made me feel more ill. I am not sure whether to continue with all this medication. Or stop and take a multivitamin? I have had GI problems before (bleeding in my stool) which has also happened again during all of this (although currently stopped). A previous scope was normal.
Do I continue with this plan? Ask for a referral to GI/ or haematology or stop, give things time to settle. Then get my bloods rechecked and retry? Can I just take a multivitamin (may just be dietary) ? I am also aware that my gran had pernicious anaemia and that I haven't had my intrinsic factor checked, should i push for this. I think I was checked for coeliac disease last year and it was negative. Thanks for your help and advice.