This seems like a good time to start a thread discussing the latest developments regarding SARS COV-2 / Corona Virus(CV-19). Given that it seems to move quickly to new areas that were previously unaffected, being as prepared as is reasonably possible seems to make sense, but is there really a good way to prepare for something that is not yet understood? At this point, it seems like you can try to prepare or do nothing and hope that it doesn't affect you or loved ones?
It seems that flu and colds tend to have an extra negative impact on PD symptoms, so this is another reason to be as knowledgeable as possible about CV-19!
Tonight the National Basketball Association otherwise known as the NBA has taken the very major step of suspending the professional basketball season after a player, Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz team tested positive for Covid-19. The game was immediately canceled before it got started and the Jazz team was told that they would have to stay at the arena.
It seems like collegiate basketball may follow in short order. This starts to give you an idea of the impact that CV-19 is likely to have in the way that we live our lives! The fact that China seems to be withholding useful information regarding CV-19 does not seem helpful at all!
One thing that has shown as an indicator of how badly the virus may affect each individual is very elevated levels of IL-6, a known inflammatory cytokine. Such elevated levels are associated with what is referred to as a "cytokine storm" which can be fatal as it overwhelms the bodies ability to cope with such a virus. The immune system seems to go into a hyper activated state as the level of IL-6 rises. The higher the level of IL-6, the more serious the results seem to be. There are many natural substances which inhibit IL-6. It is not yet proven if inhibition of IL-6 will attenuate the severity of the virus, but the article link below suggests that it may. With that thought in mind, I will list some common and known IL-6 inhibitors based on studies, just in case future research confirms that inhibition of IL-6 can be useful, we will have this list ready at hand or it may prove not! Currently, doctors have nothing to offer in terms of an actual treatment since testing is only beginning. They can give you Tylenol if you have a fever or intubate you if you can't breathe, but this seems to be a step that is sometimes followed by death.
Here are some supplements that have shown their ability to inhibit IL-6 and other inflammatory mediators.
1. Hesperidin - Anti-IL-6 plus antiinflammatory and antioxidant effects.
3. Pine Bark Extract/Grape seed Extract - IL-6 inhibitors that have overall similar effect and also on other inflammatory mediators.
4. Amla - is definitely an IL-6 inhibitor as well as a glutathione increaser and anti-inflammatory. I have written about the potential value of Amla in another post. Click on my blue B-1 capsule icon and search the drop down list of 10 current posts to find it.
5. Andrographis Paniculata - Anti-IL-6 effects as well as antiviral, antioxidant and antiinflammatory effects. 😋😋😋
6. Zinc - Inhibits IL-6 and has synergy with L-Lysine as an antiviral!!! One study has shown that zinc picolinate is a well absorbed form!😋😋😋
7. Vitamin D-3 - Anti-IL-6 and it won't hurt to be in the upper half of the reference range for the many potential health benefits for PWP that I have written about here: healthunlocked.com/parkinso... 😋😋😋
8. Fish Oil / Omega 3's
9. Boswellia Serrata
17. Vitamin E - It should be noted that vitamin C and E work together well!😋😋😋
18. Vitamin C - It should be noted that vitamin C and E work together well!😋😋😋
19. Quercetin - 3 to 7 grams per day as suggested by the video that is lower in this thread. Also helps to improve zinc absorption!😋😋😋
20. Melatonin - Inhibits IL-6 and other inflammatory mediators while possessing potent antioxidant effects.😋😋😋
21. Xylitol - Xylitol not only inhibits IL-6, but also has the potential to increase T-Regulatory T-Cells or Tregs which have the potential to limit or control inflammation.
22. Mannitol - Also used for relief of some PD symptoms!
23. L-Lysine - An amino acid that inhibits both IL-6 and IL-8. It also is antiviral, especially when combined with Zinc!😋😋😋
24. Eldebery Syrup which can be found in a popular form, Sambucol Elderberry. This one was supplied by forum member KERRINGTON!
25. Ginger Extract - An inhibitor of NF Kappa b, IL-6 and IL-8. This one was also contributed by forum member, KERRINGTON!
Okay, that is just a list of 26 very common supplements, all of which have shown potential in terms of their ability to inhibit IL-6. A quick scan of the list reveals many supplements that have been discussed on this forum and which some on this forum may currently be taking! There are many natural IL-6 inhibitors and there are also drugs which can have a specific IL-6 inhibiting effect.
If anyone has any others they would like to add, post them and I will add them just as I have done with the thread about IL-8. On that note, I will add a link to the IL-8 thread as inhibition of IL-8 also results in inhibition of IL-6 and multiple other downstream inflammatory mediators which may prove useful in trying to inhibit a "cytokine storm". Here is that link :
Here is the link to a recent article that may prove useful for anyone interested in some of the latest information regarding CV-19 :
For the potential cure, the following link will explain how two older existing FDA approved drugs have been used in Australia and elsewhere on CV-19 patients and the virus was cleared. Australia is currently in the process of doing a multi sight study testing these two drugs to see which of the two is more effective or if the two together is more effective than either one alone. Here is that link:
Another relatively new drug that was made in Japan and is currently being tested in China on patients with SARS CoV-2 / Covid-19 is showing good initial results. Japan designed this drug as a treatment for the flu but apparently it has shown some effectiveness against other nasty viruses It is called favipiravir/Avigan :
The following link takes you to a lot of information on the use of Melatonin to treat Covid-19 as well as the damage to other organs like the heart, liver and kidneys as Covid-19 is now known to cause. Melatonin is showing the ability to very quickly help Covid-19 patients start to improve in as little as 24 hours and possibly prevent the patient from getting the dreaded cytokine storm or pneumonia, both of which have shown the ability to prove fatal to the patient.
Please add to this thread any new information regarding CV-19 that you think might be useful. Thank you! The title of this thread should be easy to search for, but in case that doesn't work, you can just click on my icon, the blue B-1 capsule and you will see a list of just 10 posts that I currently have up, select this title from that list or select to follow this post or me.
I am adding this link so you can quickly check the status of Covid-19 in terms of confirmed cases and deaths by country :
If it gets to a point where you may decide to try anything on the list above, it is imperative to let your doctor or professional healthcare provider know so that he/she can be sure that it will not be in conflict with anything you may be taking.