Pain Concern
23,739 members8,019 posts

RF for lumbar spine

Does anyone have any experience of this procedure? Successful or not. Am desperately seeking a solution - or at least some relief, from my ongoing pain. Many thanks.

21 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes me, although it was 30 years ago and I had just developed Meningitis in the army, they had to take some fluid from my spine so hence the procedures, I hurt so much, I had to go through this again and no different from my first one lol, but I should imagine things will changed nowadays because painkillers in my time weren’t the strongest. Best of luck and I hope it helps you to find the answers to your question soon.

Philip

Thank you, Philip. Very kind of you to reply so quickly. I guess things haved moved, and am investigating. Meanwhile, the very best of luck to you too.

What Is RF??x

radio frequency

x

Oh I still don’t know what it is lol.. I’ve had medial nerve block..

1 like

Don't worry...think I lost the plot days ago!!

x

RF ..... is it the same/similar procedure as a Spinal epidural?

I've had a few epidural injections....

They are uncomfortable but they never gave me any pain, probably the thought of what they were doing was the most uncomfortable.

Try this video to explain....

spine-health.com/video/lumb...

I had an epidural for my back pain. It worked. It has been nearly 2 years now. I would have another one. I have been to Keep Fit this morning and feel much better for it. I nearly told myself not to go as I had pain, it was worth it to see other people older than you doing exercise.

Good luck.

So its not as invasive as an epudural as such.

Looks like a good idea to me....

1 like

Not as invasive no but not a high success rate either

x

Anythings worth a try.

If I was told putting a plant pot on my head would help I'd give it a go.....🤣

2 likes

Make sure it's empty first!!

x

....... ah yea top tip, thats why I'm on this forum looking for advice.

I did wonder how all that soil got down the back of my neck..... 🤔

2 likes

I wont ask then where the plant was!!! x

x

1 like

Hi fyllida

I have radio frequency treatment for severe nerve pain in right leg!. It's very effective, worth the backache I get at first. I am painfree for weeks at a time, just wish it would last longer!. I definitely recommend it. Good luck if you have it. Hope it helps you. X

Hi, i have it every 6 months. More painful then just injections and it takes longer but lasts longer too and hopefully burns the nerve too !

Thank you so much. Thats really very helpful info.

If injections give you relief of pain it’s likely denervation will too - docs say 12 months -18 months. Personally I get 6 months If that. But it keeps me going, I wouldn’t pay the cost of it twice annually If this wasn’t the case !

I had it years ago. Extremely painful at the time (they said I had to be awake, but I've met people who were sedated, so definitely ask for that!), but gave good relief for a few months.

My consultant told me that effects can range from none at all to complete cure (very uncommon). Worth a try.

I had months of RF in my lumbar spine & it worked for a week the first time then nothing. It was long winded too

You may also like...