My Ovacome
11,797 members14,190 posts

Feeling Blessed :)

Good evening lovely ladies,

Its been a while since i last posed on here, i thought i would come on a share what i have been up to.

In November I started to have a buildup of acites again, 3rd re-occurrence. my oncologist offered me weekly taxol as i was now considered platinum resistant, I asked what would happen next and she told me that as long as she keeps me alive 5 years after diagnosis she has given me gold standard treatment! That was not good enough for me.

I came across a clinic in Turkey with was having amazing results so after talking to the doc there I went off to turkey at the end of November to start my treatment. They give low dose chemo and enhance the effectiveness of it with heat therapy and oxygen therapy along with vitamin infusions.

When I arrived in Turkey I had 10 active tumors on in between my lungs which my oncologist in the UK said had nothing to do with the cancer!

I had my scan last week after 5 treatments and I'm over the moon to say that it was all clear!

The Dr did say that the CT PET scan doesn't pick up tumors smaller then 3.8mm so I will be going back to Turkey for another 5 treatments!

I hope this gives you ladies hope as the treatment in the UK is not the be all and end all... there is a whole world out there that is not restricted by what they can give you to help cure you :)

Much love and best wishes

Asma x

15 Replies
oldestnewest

That sounds amazing. Where were you treated? Would you mind me asking how expensive the treatment was? I am so delighted for you that the treatment has been so effective xx

The place is called chemothermia and each cycle cost 11500 Euro. I was very fortunate enough to raise all funds through a ucaring page

I think that is fantastic but we have to remember that not everyone can afford to go abroad for treatment.

Perhaps the NHS here should step up as we also heard at the weekend that the wee boy whose parents "kidnapped" him to take him abroad is now cancer free .

Take care xx

2 likes

Hi

NHS does pay for treatment abroad if it cannot offer it here. However, it must be a treatment that has been proved by strict scientific and medical guidelines. These, however, may vary from country to country.

It is interesting that the NHS paid for the proton beam therapy for that little boy.

Fay

3 likes

Yes, and now The Christie and UCL are getting their own proton machine.

2 likes

I missed this story at the weekend, and have just looked it up. How brilliant for the little boy - long may it last!

2 likes

Hi

Pleased for you. Let us know how you get on with your further treatments.

Fay

I too would like to have the name of the place where you were treated. I am not sure how to PM.

Jenny

Chemothermia in Istanbul

Well done Asma and thank you fir sharing. I’ve been looking at this clinic myself.

We will exhaust all options won’t we?!

Keep going and continue to get good results, all the best xxx

This sounds quite positive. Pleased you’re doing well. I did look up a clinic in Istanbul a couple of years ago but they didn’t seem to have a gynaecologist-oncologist, perhaps they have now. Do you know the name of low dose chemo you were given?

Did you stay in a hotel? I love Istanbul, must be marvellous to blend a holiday with treatment.

Gemcitabine

Cisplatin

Docetaxel

Bevacizumab

Xelrabin tablet

I'm currently on all the above chemos. Although it is low dose I have found the tiredness and lymphoma very difficult and that restricts me from going out and about much... but as long as the cancer goes these side effects should go with time too....

It's the top drug that is not available in the UK I believe x

Thanks for sharing your wonderful news - I'm so glad it's worked for you. Do keep us posted, & wishing you all the very best with your future treatments xxx Sundra

Absolutely amazing I am going to ask the same question, how much is the cost of the treatment? I am so pleased for you.

Hugs Ellsey xx

11500 euro per cycle I have had 5 cycles so far and am looking to have 5 more. I'm very fortunate to have raised this money all from fundraising 🙏

You may also like...