Aaaargh!!!

Feeling so sorry for myself!

Following THR in both hips and quickly after, TKR in both knees, I developed a sweet tooth - never in my life eaten sweets this way and never ever liked chocolate. However, I found myself eating 3-4 large packets of buttermintoes a week!!

Not surprisingly, when I went to the dentist on firday, I had to have two teeth extracted 😭

One of the teeth was underneath my cynises ( is that how you spell it?!) and now, the pain in my mouth, jaw and my cheek bone is incredible ! Bear in mind I take anti immflamatories, 400mg tramadol and paracetamol every day - and it's not touching it!

Help please?

Ps- sue, maybe you'd know what to do to ease the pain?

Many thanks

Marie

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Dear Marie, ALCOHOL joking of corse. Sorry you are suffering so much, I don't know TKR,andTHR, but I have lots of werthers original, mainly for my granddaughter, ( she helps herself ). My Mum would suggest swilling whisky round your tooth and then spitting it out! What a waste.

Seriously hope things resolve them selves so sorry you are suffering so much. Kind regards Mike

Ps my wife suggests clove oil rubbed on the gum. .

• Maybe you have a thing called Dry Socket? A condition where there is loss of the blood clot in the tooth socket after a tooth extraction which results in inflammation of the jaw bone. One of the girls at work had it a few months ago after she had a tooth taken out and said the pain was unbearable. I would phone the dentist in the morning and ask if they will check it out for you. Hope you get it sorted soon. x

• Will do- thanks so much

• Brave lady I had a accident 7 months ago ended it THR 😭 Never had problems before. Had a bad knee for years and the fall has made my knee so bad I can hardly walk hoping to get a TKR in the next 2 months. I am on my own widowed and terrified. How did you come to terms with having yours done. Let me add again you are so brave. Rose

• Hi rose

I had both hips replaced at the same time and three months later, both knees replaced at the same time. It was tough.

The best advice I can give is to religiously do all physio exercises and rest in between. It takes a bit of time to recover but well worth it in the end.

The very best of luck to you.

Marie

• Poor you. I hate pain in my head as you can't escape it. Have you tried warmth? Not hot, but gentle warmth like a wheat bag? And sleep, if you can!

• Thanks everyone. I have a hot water bottle that I'm laying on as I type . The heat is comforting but isn't really easing the pain. I'll give the dentist a call at nine!

You're right HH- there is something about pain in your head that is just unbearable.

Have a good day all.

Marie

• How did you get on at the dentist?

• Omg! The dentist is closed. I have resorted to using the oxycodone I have left from neck injury . It is taking the edge off the pain but I will definitely Have to return to the dentist tomorrow.

Thank you for asking Mhairi

Marie

• Oh no! Nightmare. You should be able to access out of hours emergency dental services if the pain gets too bad.

• I think I'm going to be able to manage it until the morning- oxy working well.

Hoping things are good for you.

Marie

You may also like...