Benepali versus enbrel - worried?

Hi there, I have been injecting Enbrel for two years and it has made a difference (I have psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis), I also inject methotrexate. I have now received a letter from my hospital informing me they are withdrawing Enbrel and replacing it with a"biosimilar" benepali to save money. Is there anyone out these who has experienced similar oe. changing from Enbrel to Benepali, and did they experience any side effects, I am quite concerned because this is new and they do not know what the long-term side effects are.

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I had to change from enbrel to benepali about four months ago and like you I was concerned because it's new and I didn't like the idea of being one of the first to use it. However, the changeover was problem free, I have had no side effects so far and it seems to be as effective as the enbrel. I find the pen easier to use than the enbrel pen and it is almost pain free! Good luck with it, I hope it works well for you.

• Thanks Astral, I hope it works well too.

• Hi I'm on Benepali and it's been working great up until this weekend when the fatique kicked in, but I think because I've been pain free I've been over douning it at the gym and it's caught up with me so I'm relaxing in bed today

• Hi pm52

You could be me posting, I too am about to be switched onto Benepali so totally understand your concerns.

I've got 5 weeks of Enbrel left and the Benepali is being delivered next week.

I've heard the injection us even easier than Enbrel.

My Rheumy nurse said to think about it like Nurofen ( brand name) and Ibruprofen (generic)

So the active ingredient in both Enbrel and Benepali is Etanercept.

Good luck and we can compare notes in a few weeks time.

Mx

• Hi Mandalou. thanks for your message, I have 4 weeks Enbrel left and have no idea when the Benepali is being delivered, just received a letter from the hospital saying they would be in touch again, so now worrying that there may be a gap. Will let you know how I get on and we can compare notes. x

• Dear pm52,

Hopefully the posts above have reassured you somewhat regards the Biosimilar you have been switched to but please do contact the NRAS Helpline or contact your rheumatology team if you have any other concerns or questions.

NRAS has been involved in previous NHS England workshops on Biosimilars and we have lots of information about them on our website here: nras.org.uk/biosimilars

We are also keen to hear your experiences (both positive and negative) about switching to Biosimilars so please do get in touch with us using the email address on our website.

Kind regards

Emma-NRAS

• Thank you Emma, I will have a look at that link to your website and will let you know how I get on - good or bad.

You may also like...