Hi, just wondering, I drop my hours at work soon, and was thinking of trying for PIP, I have RA, OA, Raynauds, and chronic back pain. My partner puts my medication into pots for me for the day, as I have to much pain popping the tablets out of the packets, I also can't cook or clean without him being home as my hands lock on everything if I hold them to long; eg. knife, hover, mop/steamer, and I have been known to drop saucepans and cups when my grip has failed. Does anyone know if I would have to involve my GP or rheumy nurse before I apply for PIP.

13 Replies

  • No you can apply but sending them all the evidence will make your case stronger but they usually check anyway

  • I was asked on the forms whether I was under rheumatology and for the address of my GP too. Hope that helps.

  • That does thank you x

  • PS You can get PIP whether you are working or not - so it won't matter if you work a little. Good Luck. x

  • thank you x

  • Why not ask your GP to contact your chemist to blister pack your daily tablets, for me it avoide slip ups and I don't get as confused lol, looking all those boxes and next time different shape and colourless absolutely did my head in, I then put the lot in the bin and went to my GP who then sorted it all out lol, I've never looked back.


  • That's good advice, thank you, I will certainly look in to it x

  • Hello there, apply for PIP asap. We did probably about 4 months into SSP when we realised hubby wouldn't be going back to work any time soon. Although you can work anyway and claim PIP I believe? We were reluctant to, seemed another step away from a "normal life" and we had heard quite a few horror stories on this site about how awful the assessment was. Take the application form to CAB who will fill it out for you. The assessment was fine. And within 6 weeks of that I would say, hubby was awarded PIP mobility and daily living. Don't delay x

  • Hi Maria,

    As others have said, PIP is available to those who are eligible regardless of whether they are currently in work. The intention of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is to meet the additional costs of living with a disability/long term condition. Other benefits such as the Employment & Support Allowance (ESA) are intended to be income replacement benefits.

    Best wishes,

    Conn O'Neill

    Policy & Public Affairs Officer, NRAS

  • What is pip

  • The Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit available to some people with long-term conditions/disabilities. You can find out more on the government website here: gov.uk/pip/overview

    or take a look at the NRAS information booklet here: nras.org.uk/data/files/Publ...

  • I was thinking of PIP, because my partner starts work soon, and he wont always be around to help me, so maybe I could use it to get the support I need to do things when he isn't there, thank you for the advice.

  • Ohh .you are in the uk. I am in the USA don't think we have that here. But thank you for making it clear to me

You may also like...