Is this is what you call a 'flare'?

diagnosed in jan this year,after few months of side effects etc, seemed to settle down on Mtx, Hydroxy, sulpha; but Am in soooo much pain all night, & today! nearly every joint ,tendon is hurting, Ive taken my meds my painkillers nothing touching it at all! I cant hold a cup of tea, I can hardly walk, more like shuffling, lol. Ive had to take all my rings off, my fingers sore & swollen.

Ive just worked the last 3 days ( so busy due to sales started), I noticed on Friday I was becoming more & more tired, more than tired! Even wearing my hand splints during the night, last night I kept waking up with pins & needles, numbness in both hands.

Im off these next 3 days, thank god! so today is a Pj day, not even getting out of bed much either, its too painful to 'shuffle'

Not sure, being relatively new to RA, is this what is called a flare? Have tried ringing Rheumy helpline but either busy or no one there. Ive had my next Rheumy apt changed 3 times ( not sure if its because everything was seeming to go well), I last saw them in july, so next apt was in Jan 2014, then that changed to Feb, then now its May! Its seems to be a long time between not being seen by someone, what do You think? Rie x

8 Replies

• Hi, I would definitely leave them a message and keep trying to contact them. It could well be a flare and they would want to see you I think. Keep up with the painkillers and hope you feel better very soon xx

• Thank You Allanah, I shall keep ringing x

• Will do Debbie ,feeling really rough, ontop got this terrible dizziness now!

• Hi Rie, Contact your own GP as well and let him know everything that's been happening and get him to refer you for a emergency appointment,keep trying the Rheumy Nurse or Consultant. Good Luck

• Hi Rie, yes lets hope you get an appointment real soon as this does sound like a flare to me....I get very similar to what you are suffering when I flare up so you need to get your rheumy/GP to see you whilst it is happening.

I've gotta say though that nothing beats a "PJ" day! Every so often I treat myself to one of those and curl up in bed with loads of tasty nibbles and my favourite books....always makes me feel a little better!

Hope you manage get a little bit of relief very soon. Big hugs xxx

• Fingers crossed you get through xxx

• That sounds like a flare to me! Up your pain killers, rest and get hold of your gp or rheumy team - it sounds like you would benefit from a steroid injection.

Cece x

• Hi, are you having regular blood tests? What are your inflammation markers like? This would indicate a flare. Like you I am in pain at the moment and am shuffling about. I spoke to my gp as my bloods were up. He has written to the rheumy. Where I live it is your gp who contacts the rheumy dept to get an earlier app. Please do see your gp. Good luck. Anne

You may also like...