No Smoking Day

How do you deal with the cravings/urges?

How do you deal with the cravings and urges? I know we all know the usual tips (drink water, chew something, go for a walk etc) - is there anything our of the "ordinary" or special any of you have found works for you?

I found a technique that works for me so far. When I get the "thought of one" I found that looking at a picture of my son (if he is not around!) helps a lot as I could not justify giving in to the crave to him or justify smoking full stop - so I have sevral pictures in my handbag, at the office, as screensavers on my blackberry - everywhere - I then engage in a mental dialogue with him rather than with the voice. I does not always entirely get rid of the thought but really helps in my determination to wait until it passes.

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Cat, cant help you there I'm afraid. Not quite worked that one out yet. lol. Will have a crack at yours though. :D

mmmmmmmm just chocolate!!

Just off for a lovely cigarette.

That'll be one of the ones from the chocolate smoking set.

Remember them..?

Sorry, but i'm a child of the sixties.

The chocolate was always gritty wasn't it..? :D

How to get over cravings?

Remind myself how sad and pathetic smoking really is:

Remind myself that:

smoking meant going outside in all weather

smoking meant that I earnt £170/month less than a non smoker

smoking meant that I stink of tobacco, my car stinks of tobacco

smoking means paying more for life insurance

smoking means I will die younger

smoking means I will be denied surgery that I will soon need

This list is not exhaustive ;)

Apart from that chocolate :D

Izzy.

Quit for three weeks, five days, 13 hours, 21 minutes and 18 seconds. 531 cigarettes not smoked, saving £146.06. Life saved: 1 day, 20 hours, 15 minutes.

Im not craving anymore (only been the last 2 days so time will tell!) but fingers crossed!!! but at the moment i am chewing gum and avoiding any places/situations where your most likey would have had a fag helps for me i was smoking when i got in from work so i pretty much spent anytime i could going out to friends or my boyfirends for tea and gettin bk to go to bed keeping my smoking room door locked!!! ha ha ha!!! good luck =)

gotta admit..this champix has worked wonders.. i,ve had no "real" cravings ( unlike last time)

i ,m still working on the "habit" bit tho.. after a meal etc..

but it is funny now, when my mates come back in from the wet and cold ( ala tonight) and i,m still indoors all dry and warm..

plus i have the added win that i,m the only fella left indoors with the girls, when all and sundrie pop out for a fag. BONUS :D:D:D

keep at it all, any advice is good advice..

(unless you happen to be a retard that wants to ruin every-ones day.. you know who you are.. yeah you.. named after a MUPPET !! ) ..

james

gotta admit..this champix has worked wonders.. i,ve had no "real" cravings ( unlike last time)

i ,m still working on the "habit" bit tho.. after a meal etc..

but it is funny now, when my mates come back in from the wet and cold ( ala tonight) and i,m still indoors all dry and warm..

plus i have the added win that i,m the only fella left indoors with the girls, when all and sundrie pop out for a fag. BONUS :D:D:D

keep at it all, any advice is good advice..

(unless you happen to be a retard that wants to ruin every-ones day.. you know who you are.. yeah you.. named after a MUPPET !! ) ..

james

Named after a muppet :D Ohh James that made me laugh

well he is !! aint gonzo one of the muppet,s??? :D

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y...

yep.. and it sounds like mr 66 is also a muppet. :D

james xx

( up the irons flippy) :D

breathe deep

I was on 40 a day for 40 years.

I quit 2 months ago on champix. now on half a tab a day Smoke free, just about to stop taking it.

Take a deep breath instead of a puff. that is the best way to deal with the cravings. IMHO.

It has to be a real deep one into the abdomen or it don't work. Give them lungs a real treat. :rolleyes:

Beat the Cravings

Hello

I find that when you get a craving if you have a game of say literati, pool, or back gammon on yahoo games, takes your mind of it and also gives the craving time to pass. Hope this helps someone. :)

lizzie - newby

You may also like...