Kidney Disease
2,326 members1,069 posts

On A Plant Based Diet I Raised My GFR From Stage 4 26 to stage 3b 41

i just recently joined a facebook group...natural kidney journey...everyone who has ckd needs to join this group...i have been eating the way that is outlined in this group since the beginning of march...i have lost a considerable amount of weight...i have gotten off my blood pressure meds...losartain and hydradraline...and a diueritic lasix...i have been working on getting rid of my diabetic med from 2 times aday to 1/2 a day and sometimes not even that...i was a stage 4 ckd at 26 now i am stage ckd 3b at 41...i have gained 15 points...it is similiar to vegan but you cut out sugar...oil...salt...potatoes...tomatoes...no processed food at all...mainly a plant based diet... water and herbal teas are fine...low potassium...low phoshorus...i feel really good...the people who started this group were able to get her husband off of dialysis...and he has been off of dialysis for 14 months...there are a couple of people onsite who have accomplished that...others are raising their gfr's dramatically...all with diet...it is a great group and i am so thankful that i found them...i mean 15 points is terrific for just a month of dedication...i am working to get to stage 2 or better...now this is my experience with this way of eating...everyone is different but i found out i ckd not because my doctor told me but that i looked at my labs...if you are really serious in having better kidney function at least check out this group...

22 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi, sharonlyn! Congratulations! I stumbled upon a plant based diet for CKD by reading Stopping Kidney Disease by Lee Hull which came out on January 2019 - it sounds like the same exact CKD eating plan. My wife and I started on it on 2/1/19. She had her labs done a couple of weeks ago and her GFR went from 66 to 78 in less than two months! I am getting my labs done on 4/22/19.

We are getting our plant based protein by making Orgain Vegan plant based protein smoothies and eating Vegan Veggie Burgers we make at home. We do cheat occasionally by having Kirkland whey based protein bars a few times per week. How are you getting your protein? And how much protein are you shooting for? Right now we are shooting for 0.6 grams of protein per KiloGram of weight.

3 likes

in the group no processed foods at all...just good ole plant base vegetables and fruits...it is food that you eat and checking your labs weekly...that is great you raised your gfr's...the couple who started "natural kidney journey" got her husband off of dialysis and he has been off for 14 months...and the site is free...you don't have to buy a book...and they don't try to sell you expensive items...they do this because they want to share their knowledge to everyone for free...and it is easy to understand...i read hull's book to some degree...and i wish i hadn't...too much scientific data...if you are interested in joining the group...they ask you three questions to filter out people who are only interested in promoting their agenda...this group is supportive and encouraging...wishing you continued great progress in your journey

4 likes

i raised my gfr from march 20th to april 5th 15 points...that is approximately 17 days...:)

i keep track of my food i eat on "myfooddiary" it breaks down everything that you eat so you can see where you stand...so far my protein intake has been inline with my age...i have also lost 15 pounds since march 20th...i feel great...thanks...ya'll

I think the other user asked "where are you getting your protein source"? You can get enuf protein from fruits and veggies?

Excellent!

I can’t findvwhere to go to join the group. Do you have a link?

tps://www.facebook.com/groups/naturalkidneyjourney/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

I requested to join the group over a week ago but no one got back to me. If this information is that important, perhaps you should find another way to disseminate it other than a closed Facebook group which doesn't respond to requests.

if you didnt fill out the 3 questions asked they automatically delete you...try again

tps://www.facebook.com/groups/naturalkidneyjourney/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

Yes, of course I answered the three questions. Still no response.

i would try again...it is important to be in this group it could help people stay off dialysis...

I've tried several times; no response.

I tried your link, but didn't get anywhere. Then I searched Natural Kidney Journey and found it, answered the three questions. There is a little box at the top that says pending. Now, I suppose I just wait for an answer.

the adminstrator goes thru 100's a day...try it again...and what were your answers...are you selling anything because that is an automatic deletion...

What a bunch of BS as I'm not selling anything and never have. I answered the questions correctly and never got a response.

cannot diclose what the protocols as per administrators request...try again...what were your answers and are you selling anything

What's the name of the group?

it is on facebook...it is a closed group...natural kidney journey...answer the three questions...or you will be automatically deleted...they are trying to keep people who promoting products and etc off the site...

I answered the questions. I have received no reply. I'm still unable to enter the group.

Hi yes i have also started on this and look forward to my lab tests in 3 wks.

1 like

You may also like...