4 stone loss, so why do i still feel so FAT

Hi all, I've lost 4 stone, because the scales tell me so, my clothes are huge and everyone keep saying how fantastic i look. Problem is i still feel FAT! I feel absolutely HUGE, yes i can see the weight loss when i look in the mirror but nothing makes a difference to how i feel. The more i loose the fatter i feel. I have researched phantom fat syndrome and it does sound like i could be experiencing this, however, all the advice given is not helping. I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this?

I am used to my new way of eating now and I'm coping very well with it, so all in all I'm doing great, i just can't get rid of this FAT, HUGE, OBESE feeling and it driving me crazy!!! 😭😭

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello. This is my first week , however over the past 40 yrs I've tried weight watchers about 4 times slimming world, & even dieting myself, all of which I have lost weight.

But here I am again nearly 63 obese & really fed up. like you I also felt fat even when I got to 9st ( 23yrs old & before the babies) , even when I was wear size 12 jeans I felt fat. I don't really have an answer I think maybe we are use to seeing ourselves bigger. I'm going to aim to lose 2st, to begin with health problems & a wedding to go to has spurred me on.

congratulations on losing 4st keep at it girl

• It's very difficult after losing weight to change how we feel inside 😕 I'm in a similar position, everyone telling me that I look fabulous but I know what I look like naked 😮😮😮 I'm not sure what the answer is. I try to focus on health and my new found energy and enthusiasm, but I understand what you are saying. I hope someone else has more useful advice

Best wishes

Anna

• Thank you for the advice 😆

• I haven't had exactly this problem, but have experienced something similar.

I'm in a weird period where although I'm 3lbs off my goal I don't feel proud of my weight loss. All I can do is focus on the negatives like still being a size or two bigger than some of my friends (those who are size 6 - 8, have been all their lives, eat a lot of chocolate and never exercise).

When I look in the mirror I often think I've still got a chubby face, I'm not 'toned' enough, my arms have no definition, my tummy is still squidgy. I constantly look for reassurance from others that I have lost weight and look different, although I feel self conscious talking about it at all.

The only way I can think of it is that looking in the mirror critically has been a life long habit for me and all habits are intensely difficult to break. Unfortunately I've had low self esteem, anxiety and depression for most of my life and that won't be all cured with just losing weight.

Borrowing heavily from CBT I had last year, it's not fair on myself to think that being overweight is inherently evil, that it made me bad, that I was stupid or ugly or worthless before I lost three stone. Likewise, being slim does not automatically make me a better person.

I think if I don't think in such black and white terms, I am less likely to criticise myself for any slightest 'imperfection.'

That turned into a bit of a ramble but hope it helped - you are not alone :)

• Lovely reply LinaLamont thank you ☺

• Thank you for sharing, i like to hear about other people's experiences. 😆

• I know exactly what your going through, I have lost 6 stone and all my self confidence/esteem with it :/ I feel worse now then I ever did before! If you find anything that helps please let me know! :)

• Weigh in last night and i lost again. But it seems the more i lose the fatter i feel. I have done some research on what people call 'phantom fat syndrome' might be worth a look, however it hasn't really helped me. I think if this carries on I may think about talking to my GP about it, as it's really starting to consume me.

I really hope you start to feel better soon, sorry i can't be of much help 😣

• Well done Jessie , what I don't understand is my daughter has lost weight & now weighs 10st 11lb she looks fabulous in her size 10/12 clothes (uk size), yet another person weighing the same needs size 16 clothes, same height, etc it don't make sense .

You may also like...