Lentil soup recipe - my absolute favourite

This is my favourite soup. It's so easy to make and come to 129 calories per serving. Its tasty, delicious, simple and filling. Everything you could need. The recipe makes 4 servings. I make them up and then freeze them.

-150g dried red lentils

- 1 onion, finely chopped

- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced

- 1 large potato (about 280g) peeled and cut into chunks

- 900ml vegetable stock

- 1 tbsp mild curry powder

Place the lentils, onion, carrot, potato and stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook for a further 3 minutes until everything is tender. Then blend for a smooth consistency.

How easy is that? I sometimes chuck a couple of wholemeal slices of bread on the side and it makes a perfect lunch. Love it!!! 😁

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

17 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi melissajoines90

Thanks for post the Lentil soup recipe I love making soups and shall try this one out.

Rose

• Sounds fabulous. I will make it with sweet potatoes. I love lentils, had them with chicken for tea last night.

• I will try this soup, sounds good and so easy. Thanks for the recipe

• I love lentil soups! They are so versatile too. Thanks for this one.

• Straight forward recipe, thanks! Xx

• Is that definitely a tablespoon of curry powder ?

• Yeah I have spoon measures. And it's level

• Thank you.

• I love making soup and shall certainly try this. Putting red lentils on my shopping list now! xx

• I might give it a try. Omelettes are my thing

• Thank you for the soup recipe. I love soup and will try this recipe.

• Hi. I am often tempted to buy lentils, beans for soup, pearl barley etc., but am put off by the instruction to boil them and then use them in your recipes as I feel any goodness is thrown out with the water. I notice you don't say anything about soaking and boiling the lentils. Is this because you assume everyone will have done this or do you use them straight from the packet? My cooking is usually let's see what we can have today, grab the ingredients from the cupboards and cook. Having to pre cook the lentils etc, don't fit in with what I do. I would really like to use these ingredients so any good tips for me? Sorry it's a long post.

• I give them a quick rinse as I would with rice but red lentils don't need soaking beforehand as they are split already so they cook faster than other legumes. With this recipe it's just bung it all in a pan and then give it a blend if you want a smoother consistency. I'm the same as you. I can't really be bothered with planning or any recipe that requires a lot of preparation. Red lentils are definitely the best to use and quickest. I use them in a lot of recipes. But with others you can always get tinned and it's just as good if you don't want the hassle eg kidney beans, green lentils, chickpeas. This is the same stuff I make for my 15 month old so I don't have the time to soak things for 24 hours beforehand!

• Thanks for the reply. Have you ever used any of the ones you have to soak, and if so, is it worth it? I fancy chicken and pearl barley. Also I bought a pack of no soak lentils which I added to stew and also made a butternut and lentil curry which was very nice, but I don't know where I put the recipe.

• Well i have used pearl barley and you don't really need to soak those either. If you want to you could put it in a slow cooker like if you were making risotto and then you can just leave it and it will soak up the excess water so you won't lose nutrients. But if you're putting them into a stew or something you can put them straight in

• However if you were to use the unrefined pot barley you need to soak that at least overnight in water. I never use that though as pearl barley is less hassle and quicker to cook

• Thank you.

You may also like...