Courgette/zucchini masala recipe

Every year I end up with a glut of courgettes. Last year I found this recipe, made it in bulk and froze most of it down. In the summer we have bbqs most weekends and I started adding this as a side dish. Everybody loved it. I've taken one out to go with a baked potato tonight but thought I'd share for everyone as well as the veggie growers who get stuck with too many at the end of summer. Hardly any cals I'm sure you can work it out :). Ps. To make it quickly you could substitute the spices for an equivalent amount of masala paste or powder.

Ingredients

Courgettes – 200 grams

Ripe Tomatoes – 2 large

Red Onion – 2 large

Green chillies – 2

Ginger – 1 inch root

Garlic – 1 tbsp

Chili Powder – 1 tbsp

Coriander Powder – ¼ tbsp

Turmeric – a pinch

Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp

Cumin seeds – ½ tsp

Oil – 2 tbsp

Salt to taste

Method

1.Wash and cut courgettes into thin roundels. Do not peel the green skin.

2.Chop the onions and tomatoes and store separately.

3.Make a paste of ginger and garlic.

4.Slit the green chillies lengthwise and de-seed if you do not require it too hot.

5.To a heated non-stick pan add oil.

6.Add mustard seeds to hot oil and allow to pop, now add the cumin seeds and onion, sauté for 5 mins till onions become translucent.

7.Add the courgettes and the green chili and sauté till the courgettes become translucent. About 10 mins.

8.While the courgettes are cooking, in a separate pan sauté all the masala powders together, about 4 mins till the raw taste leaves it. Be careful not to burn.

9.To the masala powder add tomatoes, ginger and garlic paste and sauté till the tomatoes are soft and its juices make it a paste.

10.Add the tomato paste to the courgettes and stir well for another 2 mins. Remove from fire and serve hot

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sounds yummy ☺ it was so wet last summer I had hardly any courgettes but hoping for better harvest this year ☺

• Sounds good, I love courgettes. They are only just back on the shelf here due to Spain having bad weather lol. My dad grows courgettes, marrows and squash so come summer we have loads. I love adding them to everything to bulk up a dish or as courgetti instead of spaghetti with bolognaise. I will need to calorie count your recipe and try it out, thank you for posting.

• I'm a huge spag bol fan so the idea of courgetti sounds great. Increased veg and reduced carbs. Great idea.

Daft question but do you need a spiraliser to make it?

• It is just easier with s spiralizer. Not magic just cutting into fine strips really. Very lovely and very versatile.

• I use one, it's the the cheaper plastic version though. I also cook it in a stock cube it just adds a bit more flavour.

• I've calculated it at around 412 cals but that could be knocked back a fair bit depending upon how much oil you use.

• That's not a bad count anyway, how many does that recipe cater for please?

• Wish I knew FoodAdditct. SORRY! I made a whole ton of it in one go and then just split it into sensible portions for the freezer.

• Mmmmm, sounds great! I use fry-light sprays instead of oil and it has cut lots of bad calories out. I will be trying this out! Thanks Tiggerr :)

• You're right Weight-be-gone it's time I moved to using a spray. I've got a Mediterranean background and used to copious amounts of oil. Ho hum, life moves on.

• Sounds fabulous, thank you.

• ooo, perfect, thank you x

• Sounds delicious, thanks :)

You may also like...