Root veg casserole

I love this, an old fav of mine, meaty veg! I make about 2 portions with this.

1 large carrot

Chunk of swede

Large potato/celeriac

1 leek

Good heaped tablespoon of tomato puree

1 teasp of mixed herbs

Veg stock ( I use marigold, the orange one) about enough to cover the veg.

Dumplings.

3 heaped tablespoons of flour ( I use wholemeal spelt)

2teasp olive oil

Large pinch of baking powder

Water to bind

Chop all veg, put in slow cooker, ( or oven) mix tomato puree with made up veg stock, cook for about 4 hrs on high, thicken sauce, I use rice flour in place of cornflour.

Add in dumplings and cok for 20 mins

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • That sounds really good, I will try this for myself! Thanks, Diana. :)

• It is nice, it's a very old recipe and simple, you could of course add pulses or cold meat to it, very English too

• I like that it is vegetarian and has potential for being vegan friendly with some very simple changes. :)

• Well it pretty much is vegan, the extras meat or pulses is just well an add on

• It depends on how the dumplings are made but yes, it could be very easily made to be vegan. :) I've got to grips with a vegetarian life-style but I'm going to get more serious about being vegan. It requires a little more thought but I think it is worth it. :)

• As it said with olive oil, less processed than suet , or butter

• I will make this at some point I am sure, thanks once again. :) I love reading other people's recipes.

PS - edited it, darn spell checker!!

• Vegetarian suet is available😊

• Yeah I know, adapted to a cupboard staple tho, suet is st some point more processed than olive oil

• Hi Diana,

Another lovely recipe - this is great!!! :-)

Lowcal :-)

• I'll post the chickpea and peeper tangine next, now I know where to put them all 😊, thanks low All!

• Lovely, that one sounds great too - I think it's brilliant that we can build up the recipes and that they're easy to find now in the topic sections. I'm really looking forward to trying them out. I am definitely going to give your Veg Lasagne one a try later this week. :-) Chickpea and Pepper Tagine sounds really tasty!!! They all do. :-) Thanks for posting them. :-)

• Love a casserole 😊

• That sounds lovely will give it a go, thanks

You may also like...