Root veg casserole

I love this, an old fav of mine, meaty veg! I make about 2 portions with this.

1 large carrot

Chunk of swede

Large potato/celeriac

1 leek

Good heaped tablespoon of tomato puree

1 teasp of mixed herbs

Veg stock ( I use marigold, the orange one) about enough to cover the veg.

3 heaped tablespoons of flour ( I use wholemeal spelt)

2teasp olive oil

Large pinch of baking powder

Water to bind

Chop all veg, put in slow cooker, ( or oven) mix tomato puree with made up veg stock, cook for about 4 hrs on high, thicken sauce, I use rice flour in place of cornflour.

Add in dumplings and cok for 20 mins

14 Replies

• That sounds really good, I will try this for myself! Thanks, Diana. :)

• It is nice, it's a very old recipe and simple, you could of course add pulses or cold meat to it, very English too

• I like that it is vegetarian and has potential for being vegan friendly with some very simple changes. :)

• Well it pretty much is vegan, the extras meat or pulses is just well an add on

• It depends on how the dumplings are made but yes, it could be very easily made to be vegan. :) I've got to grips with a vegetarian life-style but I'm going to get more serious about being vegan. It requires a little more thought but I think it is worth it. :)

• As it said with olive oil, less processed than suet , or butter

• I will make this at some point I am sure, thanks once again. :) I love reading other people's recipes.

PS - edited it, darn spell checker!!

• Vegetarian suet is available😊

• Yeah I know, adapted to a cupboard staple tho, suet is st some point more processed than olive oil

• Hi Diana,

Another lovely recipe - this is great!!! :-)

Lowcal :-)

• I'll post the chickpea and peeper tangine next, now I know where to put them all 😊, thanks low All!

• Lovely, that one sounds great too - I think it's brilliant that we can build up the recipes and that they're easy to find now in the topic sections. I'm really looking forward to trying them out. I am definitely going to give your Veg Lasagne one a try later this week. :-) Chickpea and Pepper Tagine sounds really tasty!!! They all do. :-) Thanks for posting them. :-)

• Love a casserole 😊

• That sounds lovely will give it a go, thanks

You may also like...