Fibre and my intestines do not like each other!

I have been doing the Slimming World diet, but suffer with severe constipation to the point I have been admitted to A&E twice with an impacted Colon. I do suffer with IBS and the change in diet, i.e additional fibre does not suit my body, I drink like a fish (water) to try and combat it but this doesn't help.

I am 46 and overweight by 1.5 stone and would like to get to a healthy weight but cannot cope with the side effects that it involves.

Any suggestions on how I can approach this weight loss without suffering the pain and incredible bloating I often experience when changing my eating habits.

5 Replies

• Hi sorry I can't be of any help other than keeping to a low fibre diet but there is a NHS forum for IBS someone may be able to give good advice on there if they suffer too it works the same as this you join and help/advise each other.

• I like you suffered with an impacted bowel - doctor has put me on laxatives permanently but I still suffer occasionally

• How much water are you actually drinking? I have same problem but resolves usually with more water and prune juice if needed.

• I can only suggest you increase the fibre gradually and always eat cooked rather than raw vegetables which are easier to digest. Good luck!

• Could adding more exercise in to your lifestyle work? Maybe doctor could refer you to a dietician to help? X

You may also like...