Recipes for Broccoli Soup and for Sweetcorn Chowder

I am making chowder for my lunch, and as I am the only one in the house who likes sweetcorn chowder I am also doing a broccoli soup. This is a great way to use those crusty rinds from cheeses such as parmesan. I never discard mine, just pop in a freezer bag and freeze.

Broccoli Soup.

Put 454g broccoli in a pan ( stalks, leaves and florets) with 100g chopped onion, 1 chopped celery stick and a couple pieces of parmesan crust/rind. Crumble in a veg stock cube and pour 1 litre of hot water over. Bring to a bubble, then lower heat to a gentle simmer for 30 minutes. Fish out the cheese rinds and throw away. Blitz the soup until smooth and thick.

Serves 4 at 55kcals a serving.

Sweecorn Chowder. (cut all veg to size you like to eat, this is chunky soup not blitzed)

In a good heavy based pan place 50g of very finely chopped smoked back bacon ( don't trim off the fat), add 175g sweetcorn ( I use 1 large fresh cob, but frozen is fine), 150g diced potato, 56g sliced onion and 56g green bell pepper ( optional- i like it) and 1 very finely sliced stick celery. Put a tight lid on and place over a very low heat for 10 minutes, stir after 5 minutes. In a jug crumble a chicken stock cube, add 300ml hot water and stir, add 200ml skimmed milk and 1/4 tsp dried thyme. Pour this over the veggies and add a parmesan cheese rind, raise the heat until the pan begins to bubble, put the lid on tight and lower the heat to very low again. Simmer for 15 minutes. fish out the cheese rind and discard. Blitz 1 small cupful in a blender then tip back into the chowder and stir ( this gives it a thicker texture without having to add flour).

Serves 2 ( big bowls) at 290kcals a bowl.

This can be made vegetarian by using a teaspoon of oil instead of the bacon and a vegetable stock cube instead of the chicken stock cube. (265kcals a bowl).

Both soups can be made without adding cheese rinds, but the flavour isn't as good.

Mine are just about made now, so off to do the blitzing required. Will be having my chowder with herb fougasse around 1pm. Can't wait!! 🍵

5 Replies

• Oh, meant to say the chowder has 2 portions of your 5 a day each and the broccoli soup very slightly under 2 portions each. 😊

• Yum Shellie, you've done it again :)

I make broccoli soup, but I put blue cheese in mine (extra calories), but although I make chicken and sweetcorn soup, I've never made sweetcorn chowder, so I'll be trying this very soon.

Thanks very much for taking the time to give us fresh ideas :)

• Lovely....will have a're really getting me to enjoy the cooking side of this plan...and because of you and the forum buddies, I'm really getting adventurous with the good food I'm eating...thank you.😄

• Hi ShellieL,

I've copied and pasted your recipes into my 'folder' and am looking forward to trying them out. Thanks so much! I love having new recipes to try.

Hope you enjoy your Chowder, and that you have a great week.

Lowcal :-)

• The chowder was yummy lowcal, I am having the other portion later today for my dinner, 2 minutes to warm in the microwave and on the table before you can blink, lol. 😊

You may also like...