Waist measurement

I discover that the thing that really matters for health is the waist measurement. This is pretty bad news for me. I have been normal weight in the past but I've never had a small waist. Right now my waist is enormous: 97cm. (Over 80cm is increased risk. Over 88 is very increased risk. So I'm off the chart.) I'm only a stone overweight now, having lost 10 pounds since I joined the site.

I'm feeling very disheartened. I know how to lose weight but I've no idea how to get a waist. Do other people have any suggestions? I don't care remotely about aesthetics. I just want to have a healthy body so that I can give the baby I hope to have in the next couple of years a good start in utero and be around and fit to look after them. I also want to lower my odds of getting alzheimer's.

2 Replies

• I struggle with carrying my excess weight around my waist as well. Although I am well into the healthy weight range now, my waist size is teetering on the unhealthy boundary.

From what I have been reading it is likely to be sugar in your diet which causes this so I am going to try and reduce the amount of sugar in my diet.

I would also suggest something like pilates can reduce your waist size.

• I've found that cutting down on sugar and processed starchy foods seems to have helped me with general weight loss, as well as slimming down the waist/tummy area.

Everyone's waist measurement will be different. The advice I've read suggests that you should aim for a waist measurement that is about half your height.

You may also like...