Hi everyone!

I'm new in the UK and I struggle to find suitable products in the local shops.

Please, advice me on some good plain muesli. By this I mean unsweatened muesli consisting of simple oats and raisins (mb a little extra, but still unsweatened).

I also cannot find any bread that would be below 200 kcal. In Moscow I used to have a nice organic loaf of 190 kcal/100g, and here everything is over 200+!

Thank you in advance!

15 Replies

• I'm not sure about the bread, I used to get some in Marks and Spencers that was low calorie, although I forget exactly what the calorie count was, it wasn't terribly good though I'm afraid.

For the simple muesli, why not buy exactly what you want? Buy a bag of oats and a bag of raisins and mix them together? Maybe some nuts or something else if you like, but if you want simple then it should be easy to do yourself....?

• Most supermarkets have a variety of muesli, but you may find what you want in a Health Food shop. You probably need to look in a good traditional baker for organic bread, not in a supermarket.

• I like LIDL, very good!

• Jordons Natural Muesli has no added sugar, just grains, nuts and fruit.

No advice on bread, we buy a grainy Hovis loaf for conveniently square sandwiches for school, but other wise eat bread from a good bakery, or I bake it, so no nutrtional details.

• Hello

I don't know where you live, but if you can find a farm shop, look for the Shire Foods brand of muesli. Definitely unsweetened!

Alternatively, I believe that Jordan's do one, available in a good supermarket.

Best wishes

• Thank you everyone! Funny is that I have discovered Jordans Natural Muesli right before I read the comments. Had them for breakfast today. Yes, they are what I was looking for :)

About my location, I live in Cambridge. I don't know where can I find farm shops there, although I am sure there must be some. I may google. About bakeries, freshly baked bread often lacks nutritional information, so I cannot control my calories consumption.

• The average white bread - the plain one, made with flour, water, salt and yeast (or sourdough) has around 290 calories per 100 grams - give or take

Wholemeal bread has a little less : around 250

You can find nutritional information online if you know what ingredients are used - and maybe check if there are artisan bakers in your area (farmers market?) , generally they tend to love real bread and do it properly!

Stay away from ready made sliced bread - not only it may have extra ingredients, but it is also produced on a way that is just plainly wrong : fast rising methods that do not allow the flavour to develop - (I suggest reading Andrew Whitley 's Bread matters...)

• Thanks a lot! I was mistaken buying ready made sliced bread, will try to avoid it in the future. Are there any online shops you could recommend, where I could get a good organic food for a decent price? Seen Holland and Barrett, but they are heavily overpriced. Paying over 2 quid for 500 g of bread seems to me ridiculous.

• Sorry Maru, I would not know about shops there as I live in Ireland. And I am lucky enough to be able to bake my own :)

• Awww, I am envious to people that can cook :3 Anyway, thank you for replies! :)

• There are several traditional bakers in Cambridge. Have a look on Google.

• I grew up in Germany so I shop in Lidl, Aldi & home bargains. I just find EU foods more nutritious even the Pils lager. It's hard to find unsweetened / unsalted products sometimes :)

• Yeah, exactly. Though in the UK I like how all the nutricious info is written on a wrap of every product and even marked what is low and what is high. It's much easier to find what you need like that :)

We have Aldi somewhere in Cambridge, but they don't do home delivery here((( Never heard of Lidl, but will research :) Thank you

• I have started making my own muesli by using to dessert spoons of oats some sunflower seeds.pumpkin seeds and almonds and fresh apricots or blueberries .This ensures no extra sugar etc.

• I thought of doing it too. For now I use Jordans natural muesli and add Quaker oats. So I have almost a poridge, that consists just of oats, rasins and nuts. May add some more berries like you do :)

You may also like...