DO I HAVE AURA?

Hello everyone. First off, i was wondering...

What exactly is Aura? I've heard of it, with some terms, but never really understood the pain or what it does, or how its caused.

I was wondering because do you guys think with the so many CONSTANT almost daily headaches i get that this could lead to Aura?

Thanks for the responces, and concern

-Emily

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Emma.

Auras aren't pain. What I get are flashing lights like crystals glittering. I believe others suffer other visual disturbances. It's all connected to migraine though. I'm sure there are others that will explain them to you. I think mine are connected to stress. They usually mean you are going to get a migraine headache. With mine I just get the auras. The bad heads I can get randomly.

• I have almost daily constant headaches. Sometime I get auras before sometimes I don't. I have been diagnosed with Hemicrania continua. Maybe that's what you have

• Go to mayoclinic.org/diseases-con... and you can see a very accurate video of what a visual aura looks like.

Technically, a visual aura includes some type of visual disturbance - loss of vision ( I don't mean it goes black you just simply can't focus on a part of the field of vision) , flashing light or scintillating forms or fortifications as many call them.

Often people confuse a pro drome with an aura. A prodrome is simply the stages leading up to a migraine and can last for days, as can the post migraine.

If you want a great and easy to read book, I highly recommend Dr. Oliver Sack's book - Migraine. He was not only a renowned neurologist but a migraineur as well.

• That was amazing. It totally explains what I experience.

• I get flashing lights, which starts with not being able to see properly, and black holes in my vision.

I think you can get all sorts, I've also had tingling skin etc, which my neurologist said was aura.

• Hi--I am a 77 yo female who has had migraine aura without headache off and on x the last 15 years. I'll suddenly notice blindness in a small area in the middle of my visual field , then a jagged intensely bright light shaped like a C which gradually enlarged and goes to the lateral part of visual field, then disappears--whole process takes about 20 minutes--no headache follows. It is not considered harmful or a predictor of strokes. For more info, read Oliver Sacks' book Migraine, where the syndrome of visual migraine aura is described and illustrated in detail. I had two episodes a day apart last week, but sometimes have gone for a year without any. Since it is not harmful, I am no longer fearful of getting migraine auras and am grateful that it is not followed with a headache.

• Hi Emma,

aura isn't pain it's when migraines affect your vision I used to get black & white spots but now it's like a picture frame. I can see where the frame is but where the picture is is just a silvery blob I find the only way to get rid of it is to sleep it off. sometimes brights lights can affect you too so I always have a pair of sunglasses with me to help.

• My aura is left side weakness in my limbs and blurry vison and pins and needles, slurred speech and depersonalisation and dissasociation and confusion. Basically it is like having a stroke. I have multiple auras over two to three days. Funny thing is I don't get the headaches. Isn't it strange how some people don't get the aura but others do but don't get the headache. It's a bizarre condition to be sure :)

You may also like...