Costocondroitis - does anyone else have this and get sharp pains when lying down?

I've suffered with pains in left rib area for nearly two years, x-rays, tests etc showed nothing, when I read about costo I discussed with my GP, on exam she confirmed it is this. My question is to those who also have this condition as despite finding new ways to sit/lie to aid comfort, it I lay on that side (inadvertently whilst sleeping) I awake with sharp pains under the ribs, almost as if my lung below my ribs is pressing against my ribs - it feels swollen and causes a lot of pain when inhaling/relieved on exhaling?

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I've had collapsed lungs in the past, but if they self inflate themselves they don't always pick it up on an x-ray, just a thought, you normally get pains over your shoulder with collapsed lung as well as lower down, might help good luck

• Thanks happyday, sounds painful for you, hope it doesn't cause you problems in the future. I do get pains over my shoulder, but not always at the same time.

Take care

• Hi, i also get this pain in one side exactly how you have drescribed. I always mention this to GP and he thinks its my mixed connective disease causing it. It feels like a burning, stabbing pain and xrays etc show nothing. I havent mentioned to Rhemmie as i just thought no point, but it definately sounds like Costo. Taking anti-inflammtorys seem to help. Glad to know im not alone with this, Happy Easter.

• Hi Sophie, it's worth mentioning, even if it's just for your piece of mind. I can't always settle if I don't know what is causing a problem, and an explanation usually puts my mind at rest. Which is probably a good thing as no treatment offered, merely told - yes it's costo and yes caused by SLE. But like I said it is better than not knowing

All the best to you,

happy easter.

• Hi slowmo, I had pain in my ribs for awhile but it does not sound as severe as yours. I found it helpful to sleep with a pillow under my arm when I fell asleep on my side as it lifted my chest and seemed to ease the pain a little.

I don't know if you can afford it but have you looked into a tempur mattress? I have one and they are designed to relive the pressure points when you sleep the positive effect is that you tend to move less during the night. Sometimes I have woken up in the same position I fell asleep in. Some places offer a discount for disability but its been awhile since I bought mine. Might be worth a look if you can afford it?

• I have costo and the same problems as you. I find it one of my most painful symptoms actually. I have not found a good way to relief it yet other thsn heat and a supportive mattress. I dont want to ramp up painkillers. I dont think docs realise how sore it is for us. I have been admitted with a suspected heart attack which turned out to be a severe attack of it. The joys of lupus.....

• Thanks Twist and Sarah, maybe i'll look into investing in one of those mattresses that sound great.

Poor Sarah, I know how awful the pain can be and really feel for you, being admitted with suspected cardiac problems evidences how bad the pain can be. And, I agree with you, it is underestimated, not sure people know how awful it is.

Take care both.

• hi guys, never muck around with chest pains, funily thats what lead me towards a diagnosis with lupus. i have had on and off chest pain for years and like sarahheney have been admitted so many times with ? cardiac, now thought to be viral pericarditis and costocondritis. its so painfull, but always get it checked out, better to know than worry about it, take care.

You may also like...