I posted last week describing my mum's situation with stage 4 lung cancer (we think) with brain mets.
She's been taking steroids for nearly two weeks now, since the initial diagnosis, which has helped with some of the symptoms of the brain mets. I.e. double vision, and balance.
We want to get a 2nd biopsy done as soon as possible to find out what sort of cancer it is, e.g. is it actually lung cancer, and does it have the gene mutations for ALK or EGFR which would hopefully enable some targeted chemotherapy.
We've not been able to get a date set for this 2nd biopsy yet, they are only performed on Friday at the north staffs hospital so the very earliest it could be is Friday this week then we'll have to wait for the results of an analysis, before even any talk of treatment can begin. In the meantime, I'm worried that the cancer is growing and spreading, mum's getting increasingly confused to talk to.
Out of desperation really we're wondering if we can speed up the process a bit by paying to get the biopsy and analysis done privately, but then go back to the NHS for treatment. Has anyone here done this or know if it's possible?