Encouraging news from St George's : Hello, I first met... - LSN

LSN
4,392 members2,087 posts

Encouraging news from St George's

Aprille
Aprille
12 Replies

Hello,

I first met Prof Mortimer about 7 years ago. He diagnosed me with Lipoedema which was complicating my severe secondary Lymphoedema from breast cancer treatment in 2003.

The team at St George's have submitted 4 bids to my CCG for Liposuction as my arm is so bad all other treatments fail. All 4 bids have been turned down.

I've had a couple of MRI's over recent months and Prof felt he'd like to put in a bid himself for me. His first. I'm pleased to report that funding has been approved.

I can't quite take it in after 5 years of waiting I thought it would never happen.

I know it's a long hard road but it's so good to have a way forward identified now.

I feel very sad that my husband died before he heard the good news. He was my staunchest ally and the only person who really understood how my swelling impacted my life.

It's a hard life on your own so I'm not entirely sure how I'll cope after the surgery and donning and wearing hose 24/7 for the rest of my life but it has to be better than what I'm enduring now.

I am indebted to the team at St George's for their dedication and hard work.They have never treated me with anything less than compassion and kindness and offered me support all the years I've been going.

I'll let you know when "my plan" is in place.

Wendy

12 Replies
oldestnewest
Snaomi

Aprille, so happy for you. While you may find it difficult initially, I promise you it will be life changing for the better. I had both of my legs done one and 3 years ago. I'm extremely happy not to have to deal with lugging around the extra weight from fluids. Best of luck to you.

I will be here rooting for you. Please keep us posted. Regards, Sharon

1 like
Aprille
Aprille
in reply to Snaomi

Thanks so much for the best kind of encouragement, from someone who has had the procedure x 2!

Wendy

davina70

Good luck be strong x

Lynora

Fantastic news Aprille. Whilst it may be a bit of a challenge in the early weeks post op - (you may be in arm ‘wraps’ which are less of a problem to don) but when you have a near to normal sized arm, donning garments will be so much easier.

1 like
Aprille
Aprille
in reply to Lynora

Thank you Lynora,

I can't imagine having a " near normal" sized arm after all these years.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Wendy

DS1955
DS1955
in reply to Aprille

What did they do?

veriterc

Wendy - I write a blog for cancer survivors - aftercancers.com - and would love to feature what has happened to you as an example to others. I too found that going to the top (in my case getting my MEP to support Lymphoedema treatment) worked. But I think so many of our fellow patients try the basics, and then give up. If you want to discuss this further see my details on Contacts page of aftercancers.

Aprille
Aprille
in reply to veriterc

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought about escalating my lack of funding for treatment but in fact I didn’t.

I merely put my trust in the team at St George’s.

I should point out that my husband was diagnosed with a rare renal cancer at about the time the first bid was rejected.

Wendy

lovesradio

So delighted to hear this good news. Sorry to hear that your husband died before you got this news and good luck with the operation and follow up. Have you got other family members near enough to help you post-op?

Aprille

Hello,

I have 2 sons and daughter in laws .

They both live 1.5 - 2 hours away.

I live in between them just off J 3 of the M3!

No doubt one or other will be over to assist with the critical post op time but it’s not going to be easy for me.

Thank you for your kind words.

Wendy

DS1955

What procedure did they preform? I need to know!

Aprille
Aprille
in reply to DS1955

I am to have Liposuction at St George's.

You may also like...