UPSET RE CELLULITUS

I went to my Dr again yesterday abou tmy cellulitus, he told me to continue amoxyllin for another week, my skin is very dry. My right leg now has a blister the nurse put a dressing on it and a bandage. I am getting really frustrated now, my oxygen level was low yesterday too, 78, I do use oxygen, its only this low when I have an infection. I've had the infection for about 4 or 5 weeks, never had it this long before. My Dr said that i have a lot of fluid forming round my legs and that i should continue water tablets, which I am doing! The nurse ssaid its lymphatic fluid leaking out thats why I had the blister in the other leg. What would you suggest, it still hurts to move my leg to get dressed, getting quite stressed with it all

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I had a similar situation last year. It only cleared up after swabs were taken to determine the type of bacteria in both my legs. This determined what antibiotic to prescribe. I was referred to the local lymphoedema clinic and had ongoing bandaging for some weeks and I wear compression stockings. I also take penicillin daily as a precaution. My legs are so much better. I hope this helps. Hils

• I would read up on water pills/diuretics & Le. After reading the paper, I chose not to take masochism unless I was in heart failure. According to what I read, the lasix can make LE worse. When I was taking it, my belly filled up even more and I became hypoxic. My oxygen was 80 and I have been on oxygen ever since. Hate it. Now I do self massage a few times a day on my belly and it helps.

I am very careful about doing things.....not many doctors are knowledgeable about Le.

• Hi,

I used to get cellulitis attacks every few months in my lower legs. I have full body lipodema and secondary lymphodema. I am now on prophylaxis dose of antibiotics ( Erythromycin 250mg 1 tablet 2 times a day- finish whole course) due to the repeat of cellulitis attacks. these have stopped the regularity of attacks, I now get one or two a year. I use Fusidic acid cream 2 % on the actual site of infection- redness of the leg, a couple of times a day- this can sometimes stop the cellulitis. if it does not stop it then I stop the antibiotics ( Erythromycin) and swap to which is the better antibiotic ( Flucloxacillin 500mg 1 tablet four ties a day) to take for this cellulitis and continue with fusidic acid 2% cream too. I use eperderm cream on my legs every night- to stop my legs getting to dry- which is when an infection can start like cellulitis.

I take Furosemide 40 mg 1 a day- for water retention- this does not touch the lymphatic fluid though- but as I have a lot of lymphatic fluid, this stops the water build up generally in my body and getting onto my lungs- I have found the best use is to take it three days in a row, then stop it for two then take for 1 day. this gives me better results of removing general fluid- Opiates like Tramadol and oral morph do cause swelling of my torso so I take Spironolactone 25mg half a tablet once a day. this keeps some swelling down but not all.

I hope this has been helpful.hope you get relief soon- cellulitus is nasty- feels like awful flu. and so itchy too as angry hot and red, then comes the blister, then the seeping fluid.

• so this sounds like lymphorrhea; when the lymph fluid leaks through the skin, but i think you must have had a tiny scratch for it to happen. Diuretics won't help. just important to keep the area clean and dry and with the anitbiotics it will hopefully clear soon NNE

• YOU HAVE MY UTMOST SYMPATHY - I AM IN A CURRENT CELLULITIS ATTACK AND ANXIOUS THAT IT MAY TURN TO SEPTIC SHOCK AND SEPTICAEMIA - AS IT HAS SO MANY TIMES IN THE PAST .

THIS COMBINATION HAS SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES THAT IMPACT ON YOUR WHOLE LIFE , EVEN THREATENING IT .

YOUR DOCTOR OBVIOUSLY KNOWS LITTLE ABOUT THIS HEALTH CHALLENGE - AND A VAGUE ANTIBIOTIC REGIME WILL DO NO GOOD TO EASE THE INFLAMMATION AND MAY CONTRIBUTE TO WORSENING HEALTH BY A CONSTANT ATTACK ON YOUR GUT BACTERIAL STATUS [ BIOME ] - THIS WITHOUT RECTIFYING THE ORIGINAL REASON FOR THEIR PRESCRIPTION .

THE FLUID LEAK / OR LESION SHOULD BE SWABBED TO IDENTIFY THE CAUSATIVE ORGANISM [S] - ANTIBIOTICS ARE GROSSLY MISUNDERSTOOD AND ABUSED TO THE POINT WHERE MANY FAIL TO FIRE IN THE FACE OF WORSENING ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE - BIG TROUBLE !!

YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE A DOMINANT STAPHYLOCOCCUS OR STREPTOCOCCUS INFECTION. - STAPHS/STREPS

FLUCLOXICILLIN INDICATED .

BUT, OTHER TOUGH ORGANISMS [ VIS Psudomonas Aurugenosa OR Acetinobacter ].

WILL CAUSE SERIOUS HEALTH THREATS IF LEFT TO ESCALATE THE CELLULITIS .

THESE BACTERIA MAY NEED MORE AGGRESSIVE ANTIBIOTICS ... DELIVERED BY MEANS OTHER THAN ORALLY.

COULD YOUR GP PUT A LINE IN YOUR ARM - TAPE THE CANULA SECURELY - AND DELIVER A VOLUME OF ANTIBIOTIC , ONCE A DAY OVER 3 DAYS AT THE MEDICAL CENTRE .

OR

INPATIENT TREATMENT AT LOCAL HOSPITAL .

POSSIBLY CEPHALOSPORINS / PROBENDICID ADJUVANT.

WITH A CIPROFLOXACIN ORAL FINISH OVER 7 DAYS.

GET BACK TO BASELINE TO START AGAIN .

1. DIURETICS WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON LYMPH.ED - DIFFERENT SYSTEM COMPLETELY.

2 . THE HYPOXIA [ 78 % SATURATION ] IS VERY LOW AND MUST BE DISTRESSING .

THE INTEGRITY OF YOUR SKIN AND MICROVASCULAR SYSTEM IS TOTALLY COMPROMISED - THERE IS NO HEALING WHEN OXYGEN IS LOW MADE WORSE BY FLUID SWELLING SEPARATING BLOOD FLOW FROM SKIN .

CELLULITIS / SEPSIS INFLAMES LUNG TISSUE AND A BRONCHITIC EFFECT CAUSES LESS OXYGEN TO REACH THE ALVEOLI - DOUBLE WHAMMY.

AGAIN IN CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE THE LEFT VENTRICLE'S PUSH TO GET GOOD RICH BLOOD ON ITS WAY AROUND THE BODY ..IS COMPROMISED AGAIN .

ITS " LEAKY LYMPH.ED " - A WHOLE DIFFERENT SCENE FROM , JUST SWELLING .THIS DEMANDS CAREFUL CARE .

A . YOU CANT USE PROPRIETARY COMPRESSION STOCKINGS - DONT WASTE TIME AND MONEY [ HUGE ] - THEY ARE INEFFECTIVE AFTER A VERY SHORT PERIOD AND IF YOU ARE SUFFERING WITH ULCERATION AND WEEPING - THE RISK OF SERIOUS INFECTION IS EVER PRESENT.

THERE IS A BETTER WAY.

I LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND , BUT I USE A PRODUCT OF THE UK VIA MEDICAL WHOLESALER HERE .[ THERE WILL BE COMPARABLE PRODUCTS IN USA / EUROPE ]

ITS HIGH QUALITY TUBULAR BANDAGE THAT HAS SIZES TO SUIT LEG ANY LEG SIZE AND DELIVERS A GOOD 40mm OF COMPRESSION.

ITS COSTS ME BUT FROM PAST EXPERIENCES ITS WORTH IT - CAN YOUR HEALTH SYSTEM ASSIST ?

I USE SIZE G FROM - [ UNIGRIP ] - LONDON HEALTHCARE @ SADDLEWORTH .UK

THESE ARE FLEXIBLE IN ASSISTING IN A CONFORMANCE TO THE LEG SHAPE - GOOD MODERATE COMPRESSION.

BEST OF ALL , IF SOILED BY LEAKAGE - THROWN AWAY .

THEY COME IN A ROLL SO MEASURE FROM THE BACK OF THE TOES TO ABOUT 75mm

[ 3 inches ]BELOW KNEE AND ONCE ON CUT A GUSSET WHERE THE FOOT / MEET - THIS HELPS INFLAMMATION / PAIN AS THE BANDAGE PULLS AGAINST THE SKIN .

THEN CUT OFF A 100 mm [4 inches ] BIT AND PULL THIS UP TO AND OVER THE KNEE THE KNEE TO KEEP FLUID FLOWING AND NOT ALLOW THE " TOURNIQUET " EFFECT .

ADJUST WHEN NEEDED .

B . INFLAMMATION / INFECTION WILL INCREASE FLUID LOSS AND CAUSE NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCY OVER TIME [ IRON.ANAEMIA ETC ] - THE GREATER THE FLUID LOSS IS [ I THINK ] THE SEVERITY OF INFECTION .

ITS TIME TO ACT - ANTIBIOTICS - APPROPRIATE BANDAGING - LEG ELEVATION .

COMPRESSION DEVICES ARE NOT INDICATED AT ALL - IN MY EXPERIENCE THE ACTION

[ SEQUENTCIAL ACTION ] MAY AGGRAVATE THE INFLAMED / INFECTED TISSUE .

I HAVE A HUNTLEIGH HYDROVEN 3 [.USA ] - ITS TOTALLY RELIABLE.QUIET AND UNOBTRUSIVE - BUT SINCE STOPPING MY 3 HR / DAY SESSION - THE INCIDENCE OF CELLULITIS [ VENOUS STASIS ] HAS DECREASED .

I NOW RELY ON LEG ELEVATION .UNIGRIP.PRAYER .

C , INFECTION - NATURAL METHODS MAY WORK BETTER THAN A CONSTANT BARRAGE OF DANGEROUS ANTIBIOTICS .

TOPICAL INFECTION CONTROL CAN REDUCE THE INCIDENCE - EXPENSIVE CREAMS AND THOSE THAT CONTAIN MINERAL OILS AND DESPICABLE BACTERIOCIDES LIKE TRICHLORSAN ETC ... WELL NOT AN OPTION .

SEARCH UP WWW GREENMEDINFO.COM AND SEE WHAT KILLS Pseudomonas .

BOIL UP A CUPPA [ 200 mls ] ADD 6 CLOVES OF GARLIC AND PUT IN A SQUIRTER BOTTLE ON MEDIUM SPRAY .

WHEN YOU BANDAGE - UP , SPRAY THEM WITH THIS AND TAPE TO LEGS - YES THE YOU GET THE ODD SMELL OF GARLIC

[ LOVE IT AND WHO CARES ABOUT THE REST OF THEM ]

SKIN DRYNESS AND IRITATION - HYDROCORTISONE [ DERMOL 60 ] ALOE VERA.BLACKSEED OIL.JOJOBA.OLIVE OIL. - DO NOT USE MINERAL OIL.. ITS THOUGHT TO BE TOXIC .

I WSH YOU THE VERY BEST .

• Show them Dr Reid ' s article about LÀSIX and lymphedema.

You may also like...