Nightmares & Hallucinations

During my missing 53 day in ICU in 2010/11 where I can remember nothing (from my diary entries I think it was a good thing) but some of the most frightening nightmares which I can remember as if it was yesterday.

I was wondering if anyone had any bizarre hallucinations once out of a coma? I can remember some very amusing ones, I saw red spider webs all across the ceiling which turned into infra red beams in a grid pattern and then pointing them out to the cleaners.

I was moved around the unit with my bed in different bays, while in one bay I was facing the two isolation rooms which provided more strange sights, I believed behind one of the beds was a fish tank then when I looked again it had changed back to all the machines and monitors, then I would see the nurses put overalls on and go in the room next to it and start painting it yellow I later found out they wore yellow aprons for that room.

The must bizarre one came after I had been there about 10 weeks, in the bed next to me was someone in full motorbike leathers and a crash helmet, the nurses told me he had been there 7 months and was going home that day, he had had a bad accident and severed both legs which they sewed back on he then got up and walked out the door.

I also believed my family told me things which they denied, they said it must have been the drugs.

I hope it's raised a few smiles, best wishes to all the community here.

Bill

Last edited by

16 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I too had horrific nightmares and hallucinations during my month in ICU, and not many were amusing. But one day I thought I saw the staff involved in some very unusual sexual activity in the middle of the ward. Fascinating! That had to be an hallucination!

• Hi, I'm not sure if you saw my post, but I'm attempting to collate coma 'dreams' for an illustrated book.

My husband had the most incredible dreams which inspired me to put this together.

I was wondering if you would like to share an experience with me?

Please email me at missylils@hotmail.co.uk

Regards

Charlotte Cooper

• Luckyone- I've learned here, that hallucinations etc are very normal for us ex-ICU people.

Personally, I have found that even after 5 years, I can still remember mine vividly, but the scariness and emotional intensity has lessened considerably, thankfully.

BTW, I too was moved around - twice I was moved out of ICU (on one occasion at 2.30am) without notice because 'we need the bed'. I was put into 'ordinary' wards, but deteriorated and moved back to ICU.

The moving around made my existing sense of disorientation, powerlessness, and anxiety even worse.

• Hello Bill, I hope you are ok now, i had nightmares too, believe it or not the Kray twins were involved and there was alot of violence, i had to walk down a black spiral staircase going nowhere also my bed went vertical in the ward and i was upright over the edge of something, it was very weird, i never did find out the reason i can only presume it was the drugs they put in me, i was in their because i had an epileptic fit at home and was taken in, alot of fuss over nothing really, anyway i hope you are ok now and get well, all the best

Walter

• Hi, I'm not sure if you saw my post, but I'm attempting to collate coma 'dreams' for an illustrated book.

My husband had the most incredible dreams which inspired me to put this together.

Regards

Charlotte Cooper

• I remember spiders crawling all over my hospital bed, seeing a nurse who was an old friend of mine (she happens to be a nurse by profession) and seeing my sister and her husband talk to me via a visual monitor screen, All these incidents were non factual. I do remember some of nurses but not the doctors. I recently went to my follow up appointment and met some nurses who I don't recall but some I do.

Regards

Charlotte Cooper

• I too remember some funny hallucinations like believing the nurses were getting me cleaned because I was going to a party with the other patients.. Also several time trying to pull all my wires/lines thinking I was on a boat pulling its cords. I also often thought I was not alone in my isolation room and even felt the 'others' were encouraging me when I was struggling ,including a friend of mine and I very often could hear my husband talk to me when he wasn't there.. However I also remember some terrible hallucinations and thoughts I had such as becoming convinced that all my family had been taken into ICU as well after a terrible car accident on their way to visiting me leaving me feeling it was all my fault and I deserved to die.. I also thought an evil nurse was trying to harm me as she didn't want me to survive so I hit her and tried to pull my ventilator out and attempted to desperately get out of my bed to flee.. I also wondered if Doctors had taken some of my organs and weren't telling my husband the truth and were keeping me quiet by keeping me on a ventilator so I couldn't talk.. My husband told me on one occasion I wrote to him on the notepad they give you to communicate that I knew I 'd had open-heart surgery ;He'd told me I didn't but I was very adamant I did.. Fortunately all these hallucinations and thoughts left me pretty much as soon as I left ICU and things slowly returned to normality ,somehow I felt these hallucinations wouldn't return then but It took me a while to make sense of the trauma . I was lucky to receive a lot of support from family and friends which greatly helped me in my recovery ; All feels very normal nowadays and these memories are like distant bad dreams & no longer have effects on me even though I often think of the time I spent in ICU .

All the best to all.

Regards

Charlotte Cooper

• Oh yes, these stories, we can almost laugh at them now (or not) but at the time they are very distressing! I was on a ship a couple of different times, a plane, in Cambridge university, won a competition on the ward and my prize was an intimate examination which determined that I used to be a man!! lol!, I was in the derelict remains of an old hospital, down a dungeon several times, and heard goats outside the window!! Not to mention the one specific nurse (poor girl!) who was evil and trying to kill me! Apparently when I was actually awake my language was pretty colourful as I was continually begging to get out of the hospital away from all the horrors!

Regards

Charlotte Cooper

• Well a lot of my hallucinations involved satan, helicopters and evil nurses involved in taking patient's souls for their crazy cult. I can understand the helicopter part, the hospital has a helipad next to A&E and this is downstairs from ICU. The nurses were probably saints and saying nice sweet things but what I heard was the most evil talk I've heard about how terrible a person I was and how pointless my life was. It was all one big conspiracy but it was just ICU delirium and psychosis on waking from an induced coma. I think the drugs they use and prolonged induced coma affects the brain organically for a while. I think they gave me Haloperidol to get me sane as I was out of it for days, maybe a week. We still know little of the brain's processes in ICU.

I was wondering if any of you would like to share an experience with me?

Regards

Charlotte Cooper

• Thanks to everyone for your replies, we've all got our memories of ICU some good, some bad, but we all have one thing we're never forget, we came through the other side thanks to the dedicated doctors & nurses of ICU that worked tirelessly to save our lives something I'm sure we're all grateful for.

Best wishes to all my fellow survivors.

• I thought I saw an entire family of about 10 people go into a patients room. They had balloons and a card the size of a small child. They also had confetti and noise makers. I remember wishing they would come into my room. But of course it was just hallucinations.

I was wondering if any of you would like to share an experience with me?

Regards

Charlotte Cooper

You may also like...