HAS ANYONE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH APS only when they became pregnant with their first child, Did Pregnancy kick off the illness?

I had my first symptoms of APS when I got pregnant with my first child, although I went on another years and a DCT and PE and multiple brain clots before diagnosis, Has any one else, been diagnosed when pregant for the first time, I wondered if PREGNANCY CAN KICK OFF THE APS due to hormones, My friends daughter also did not know she had APS until she became pregnant, so it makes me think ?

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I think being pregnant makes a difference.

Before pregnancy nothing like Hughes syndrome, then

DVT when pregnant which saved my sons life. As 32 years ago I was admitted into Hospital and given heparin injections. I was 26 weeks pregnant,he was born at 31 weeks 1lb 14oz.

Other pregnancies problems after 20 weeks

I had a heart attack when I was going through the menopause.

I definitely think it has something to do with hormones.

• I agree hormones make it worse I am going through the menopause now, and I am a lot worse, it isn't easy is it. Was you on any blood thinners when you had your heart attack and Are you on warfarin or aspirin now

• No only Asprin, I was diagnosed probably about 10 yrs ago but only put on 75mgs Asprin, although I know now with my medical history I should have been on warfarin.

My Heart attack was caused by a blood clot.

I am on Wararin now and my inr target is about 3.5 and I can walk up hills better than I did before my attack

• I am pleased to hear that you can walk up hills better now that is great, I have been on Warfarin and Aspirin for about 17 years, I went 8 years after having symptoms when I was pregnant with my son, until I was diagnosed, when I had a DVT and PE, I have a friend whose daughter has been diagnosed with APS and is pregnant, and has apparently been told the APS will go away after she is not pregnant, I personally have never heard of it going away once you have it..... IF ONLY !

• I had no signs of APS until I was pregnant, really bad livedo appeared on arms and legs, memory problems, headaches etc, once my daughter was born I didn't have anything significant until the menopause and then it started again big time.

• Was you diagnosed when you were pregnant, or when you had your menopause? Are you on any medication for it?

• Hi, still battling for a final diagnosis although I am almost there, after many problems with my previous GP I changed and was referred to a rheumatologist, I have had first set of positive tests and am waiting for the second set. I started taking 75mg of aspirin per day (of my own volition) about 7 months ago and then stepped it up to 150mg. Although I had two miscarriages before my first daughter, high blood pressure/pre-eclampsia, early delivery and low birth weights with both my children it was never investigated at the time. Once I wasn't pregnant the symptoms subsided until the menopause then they came back with a vengeance. Looking back now to when I was pregnant (21yrs ago) I can see all the signs of APS which I hadn't even heard of then

• I understand exactly what you mean, I had awful time when pregnant and had what I now know was a stroke, when pregnant, I passed clots after he was born and was very ill, migraines over the years, were more like mini strokes, but I wasn't diagnosed until some years later. I hope you can get some good support it is very difficult isn't it, I am definately worse now I am menopausal. Take care and message any time X

You may also like...