Pre hysterectomy nerves: Hi all, I am a... - Healthy Happy Woman

Healthy Happy Woman
1,608 members495 posts

Pre hysterectomy nerves

officelady
officelady
18 Replies

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this group but am hoping for a bit of advice and support. Sorry this is such a long post !

I am due for a total abdominal hysterectomy on 21st Jan.I have been being seen by a consultant for chronic sciatica which was presumed to be from a herniated disc (I do have a problem disc). I had a spinal injection in October which had no effect whatsoever. The pain radiating down my left leg is excruciating, I can only stand or walk for about 10 mins. The consultant wanted further MRI scans to see what was happening. I paid to have these done privately. These scans showed a large (12cm x 10cm) uterine fibroid at the top of my uterus. I then paid to see a gynaecology consultant who examined me and said that a total hysterectomy (including tubes and ovaries as I am nearly 52) would be the best option. She felt that the position of the fibroid could be making the nerve pain worse as it is pushing on the base of my spine. Has anybody heard of this before, or of a hysterectomy helping relieve sciatic pain.

This has all come as a bit of a shock and to be honest I am struggling to get my head around it. I have spent the last 3 weeks reading everything I can on the subject, which has probably not done me any good as I have read a lot of horror stories. My consultant suggested this website. At the moment I do seem to be in a very dark place about it all, not only the operation itself but recovery time and financial implications. I have been off work since October which means I will go onto half pay from 6th April. I am worried I wont have recovered enough to go back to work before April. I am also worried that the operation will have no effect on easing the sciatic pain and then I will need possible further surgery to sort that out.

I want to be as prepared as possible for the surgery and recovery so any information regarding exercise, vitamin supplements etc would be very welcome.

Many thanks

18 Replies
oldestnewest
janesbitz

It was the best thing I have ever done. I did two years or more on special diets trying to shrink my fibroids... and they did shrink but they eventually came back with vengeance! I don’t have to worry about periods and not being able to leave the house.., only off hot flushes now ... and who cares about them when you know everything that could turn nasty has finally gone from your body!

Believe me when I say I was petrified, meeting with professions As I was scared to be knocked out, didn’t want an epidural etc etc... ok, it wasn’t pleasant but boy am I glad it’s all done now.. so go and do it, be done with the worry of what might be.

Message me whenever you like ... always here.

Jane x

officelady

Hi Jane

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my post. It's good to hear first hand of a positive spin on things - has already helped to lift my spirits.

Unfortunately I've always been a "glass half empty" rather than "glass half full" kind of person so

Have been focusing on the negatives so your reply has really helped. It's so nice when somebody you don't know takes time to help you feel better.

Will keep you posted about my "journey"

Thanks again

Jo x

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to officelady

Adominal hysterectomy hurt bad dont do it if you dont have too the pain is unbearable

Tonkatruc
Tonkatruc
in reply to Hidden

But.......I at least, got passed the unbearable pain from the surgery...and am free from all those female organs that were causing me problems.

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to janesbitz

How do you stop vomiting

Tonkatruc
Tonkatruc
in reply to Hidden

Call your doctor now!

Sunflower1968

Hi I had my hysterectomy (total) on the 11th Dec I had keyhole with assisted V. I am slowly recovering and very grateful to have had it done. I am 51 and had endometriosis & adenomyosis so it was not for the same reason as yourself but here’s my thoughts.

So have you asked for a second opinion? Is it something you would like to consider?

I was due to have an abdominal hysterectomy as the consultant I was under did not perform keyhole, the reason I am mentioning this is the recovery time is often less and with you saying you were worried about time off work? I just wondered if you were able to have keyhole with your current surgeon?

I am so grateful I obtained a second opinion as I felt far more confident Witt the second consultant.

My friend had fibroids and was still able to have keyhole surgery for her hysterectomy and for her she said it has been life changing.

I can totally relate to your nerves I was so nervous prior to my surgery but if you trust your surgeon and feel confident of their ability then maybe try to think about your pain free future (that’s what I did) I also had a great team in theatre who really helped to relax me.

I can honestly say the pain after my hysterectomy was far less than my monthly’s .

There are lots of useful pre/post hysterectomy videos on you tube by physios that you may find useful?

The one thing that helped me immediately after my surgery was peppermint oil capsules as the gas from the keyhole can be painful.

I had a lidocaine infusion earlier this year for back pain and that really helped.

Good luck and keep us posted x

officelady

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Its good to hear a positive outlook from somebody who has recently had surgery, all be it different to whats scheduled for me.

I have been told that the size and position of the fibroid (apparently its about 12cm x 10cm and at the top of my uterus) means keyhole is not an option but I am going to ask my consultant again and get the thoughts of my GP just to make sure - thanks for the suggestion.

Quite a few people have been telling me how much there quality of life has improved after having the surgery so i am trying to focus on that and look forward to a pain free future. I need to accept that I will need to take it easy to start with and not rush things and hopefully help my recovery.

Glad to hear you on the road to recovery.

Thanks again - wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Happy (pain free) New Year

Jo x

ypelzer

Hi there. I had my hysterectomy in march this year. Was suffering for more than 2 years met sciatic pain in my right leg. I do have osteoarthritis in my lower back. Initially I was in hosp due to possible kidney stones, which ended with a fibroid on the side of my uterus. My gynae did an emergency hysterectomy 3 days later. 6 weeks to recover and I must say my back pain and sciatic pain are gone. Been off all meds from Aug.

Goid luck for your operation, it does change your life for the better.

officelady

Hi

Thank you so much for taking time to reply. Your story has made me feel more positive about everything and hopefully this operation will help with the nerve pain as well as getting rid of other problems.

Glad to hear you have recovered well.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year

Thanks again x

StIvesmaid

I had a TAH and BSO in February 2018. Like you I had very large fibroids, my largest was 16x10 cms. I was keen to have keyhole surgery but due to the size, location and number of fibroids it wasn’t an option. My symptoms had been chest pain and nausea, my uterus was so enlarged that it was pushing up into my diaphragm so having the mass removed was a relief once I started to recover. From my own experience I believe that large fibroids can cause symptoms through pressure on other organs/nerves. Early on I was referred to an oncologist as my GP feared ovarian cancer (it wasn’t) but the consultant told me that extreme pressure on the diaphragm could result in heart failure. Convinced me!

Fatigue is bad after the op, I was shocked at how debilitating I found it! And it took me 12 months to fully recover from surgery which my GP (in whom I have total trust) told me would be the case some months after my op. When I say fully recover I mean feeling totally back to normal, I felt very well within 3-6 months. I was 62 when I had the op.

You haven’t said what kind of work you do - I went back to work after 6 weeks and struggled to do a full day for the first week. I work in an estate agents so was able to sit! But everyone is different, I have read comments on this site from women who have recovered from surgery really well and very quickly are able to get back to their normal routine. The best advice I can offer is to be kind to yourself post op and listen to your body. If you feel tired, rest. I got to to really enjoy my afternoon naps!

I can’t offer advice on supplements pre op. Peppermint tea after the op is great! There will be wind! Before surgery I was very anxious, but the pre op assessment was tremendously helpful for me. It’s your opportunity to ask about the op and what to expect afterwards. Calmed me right down.

Hope it all goes well for you and that the surgery helps you. Keep in touch!

S xx

officelady

Morning S

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I am definitely starting to feel more positive about the long term benefits of the operation after hearing from others.

Like you, because of the size and position of the large fibroid I don't think keyhole surgery will is an option but am going to check again when i go for my pre-op.

The main message I am getting is the need to rest completely afterwards so that is what I am going to do. (I move house 2 weeks before the op so will have to get all the boxes sorted quickly !) I think a lot of my anxiety is because I really didn't expect this at all and was worried that it has nothing to do with the nerve pain in my leg. Hearing from people like yourself though has really helped.

Once again many thanks.

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas and New Year

Jo x

1 like
StIvesmaid

Hi Jo,

Hope you had a lovely Christmas and Happy New Year and that you are feeling positive about your surgery. I was about to say “looking forward to it” but realised that would be weird! Hope as well that your house move goes well next week - you will have to be very disciplined after surgery and not be tempted to do stuff. Keep a notebook beside you and write down everything you want to do when your energy levels return (they will, trust me)

S xx

officelady

Hi - thanks for that- I am trying not to feel so anxious about the op (not easy - hee hee) and focus on the positives. Am in the middle of moving so at least have got something else to focus on at the mo - Happy New Year to you and thanks again

1 like
Mollymoo16

Hi...i had the exact same problem and symptoms...had a total hysterectomy on 27th of August...am now nearly 5 months post op and last Mon I took up running again for the first time in years...have still some backache but nothing like before....first few weeks after op are the worst but it really does get better.....judt take it easy do some walking as soon as you can after op...i did research like you are doing and this is just my opinion but sometimes too much info is a bad thing...i wad petrified going in...and it wasn't as bad as I had thought...good luck xx

officelady

Hi,

Thanks for taking time to reply. Your message couldn't have come at a better time, I have got my pre op assessment this morning so am feeling bit anxious again. I feel better for reading your comments though. I used to enjoy running as well but haven't been able to for ages. Its good to know that it might be something I can get back into at some point.

Thanks again

Jo x

Mollymoo16

Take it day by day.. the fear is way worse than the op and post op....everyone recovers at their own pace and there will be dad when you get tired.....listen to your body and rest when you need to.....my back is a lot better than it has been in 20 years and I am no longer rushing to the toilet every half hour..the fibroids I had were causing most of my problems...good luck and if you want to talk feel free to message me xx

Tonkatruc

For me, my radical hysterectomy has helped relieve some of my back pain. I had a 9 cm tumor on my ovary , abdominal cavity was also filled with fluid ...so my back pain was bad.

I have had lower back pain for yrs. My trainer taught me how to get rid of the sciatica part of it.

I had to learn to foam roll and stretch the front part of my legs ....and build up the muscle and butt in the back part of my legs ...and body.