Healthy Eating
30,340 members4,088 posts

Benifit of nutrition to our Body

Yogurt is rich in most of the nutrients which are the requirement of the healthy functioning of the human body. Yogurt contains a lot of calcium, which is helpful in gaining healthy white teeth and stronger bones. Just eat one cup of yogurt and you will be awarded you daily calcium needs and requirements.

60 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi indianfood

I enjoy Greek-style yoghurt regularly - it is incredibly delicious and nutritious.

Zest :-)

2 likes

I enjoy yoghurt but I've noticed that not all yogurts contain calcium, can you give me some advice on yogurts containing calcium, apart from Greek yoghurt which I just can't seem to enjoy

Rosie 😊 xx

1 like

all yoghurts made with milk contian high amount of calcium.

i think the best place to look would be in the supermarkets where they have a lot of different varieties. try out a few to see what you like the most..

1 like

milk is not a great source of available calcium because of the high levels of magnesium. Dairy products were touted as great source of calcium when we had a milk "mountain" -ie too much and needed to encourage the public to consume more.

for some reason the reply you made to me saying I didnt know what I was talking about is not showing up in the thread. I have spent the last 28 years professionally in the world of nutrition. If you dont like what someone says then maybe in your own immortal words that you use when someone disagrees with you " time to move on "

1 like

my remarks on "you dont know what your talking about was how goverment works" something i know very well about 😆 and "your" remarks on that the government is very slow in working in the interest of the public...i found insulting to the many of hard working MPs and are some of the most honorable people that i have had the pleasure to have met.. the truth is you dont know what your talking about on how fast these people work when it comes down to public health issues...i do!

i also said if you know how magnesium works in removing calcium from our bones ..why dont you put on your own post and explain it to us... 🤔

as far as you been in the world of nutrition..well theres good ones and there bad ones..just as there is in all professions.

put a post on and it will interesting to see the response 🤔

i wont be reading on this post..something funny about it.. i wonder who put it on 🤔

as I said your reply wasnt showing in the thread only in my inbox and there was a full stop after " you dont know what youre talking about ."

There may well be hard working MPs but there are also many who are in the hands of lobby groups and vote accordingly.

I didnt say magnesium removes calcium from your bones- where on earth did you get that idea from? I said the ratio of magnesium to calcium in dairy products is a problem in such that the calcium is less available for absorption.

1 like

I eat Greek yogurt for breakfast every day and as a snack (when it’s necessary). Some of the brands that I buy have 12-13 grams of protein.

Greek yogurt is nice over museli or granola

1 like

Will try to do this soon!😀

i like it with whole grain brown rice.☺

Never had that

Let me know if you like I usually have it over fresh chopped fruit to

1 like

What about Greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom?

You mean one you can buy

Fruit on the bottom you have to mix to get the fruit evenly.

Just put yoghurt over top of fruit or cereal

Okay 👌

Hope you enjoy.

1 like

Will let you know!😀👍👌

i love greek yogurt with ripe papaya.. but i mostly eat it with choped mint, crashed garlic and greated cucumber..am having some now..lovely ☺

2 likes

Thanks for this info . Unfortunately I cant have dairy due to my lung condition...

Are there any alternatives? I have almond or soya yogurt at the moment .

Do you have copd

No its PCD

am sorry that you have a lung condition, dairy can course muchus to thicken, but it dont in any way course muchus.

i have read on here about vegan yoghurt but i dont know what it contians..and there vegan chesse too.

personally i think i would not give up my greek yogurt and i would make sure that i drank enough water pervent muchus thickening.

anyway i hope you find what your looking for ☺

1 like

Thank you x yes it causes it to thicken and then I can’t breathe and causes a lot more problems for me unfortunately ! I did love it though!

1 like

I always feel that we are being conned by the Milk Marketing Board that dairy is needed for calcium. It has been drummed into us. I am not saying don’t have yoghurt because that would be hypocritical of me as I have it every day. Have yoghurt because you enjoy it and it has other benefits but you don't necessarily need it for your source of calcium. I would be interested in any vegans to comment on whether they feel their diet is deficient in calcium.

Just one final thought. Ever looked at a cow which is a large animal and ask where does it gets its calcium from to maintain its bone health? Certainly not from milk or yoghurt.

2 likes

Do they get from grass..

Your right ofcourse you don't need to eat yogurt to top up on calcium, but it is an excellent source of calcium.

I

I believe it is from the food they eat which is plant based. It is also possible to get our calcium from green leafy veg, nuts and seeds. So a good varied diet does not need dairy to get calcium.

You are correct, its absolutely not necessary to eat diary or yogurt to get sufficient calcium.

Here's an interesting article from a reputable source (in my view):

hsph.harvard.edu/nutritions...

1 like

Harvard is always a good source for information. It is a very good article. Thanks for posting it and others shoud read it. It also mentions a potential increase in getting ovarian or prostate cancer.

I know from my own experience that I have very localised bone loss which was down to medical treatment over 40 years ago. Yet the rest of my bone density is fine. I stopped drinking milk over 50 years ago and had only very small amounts of dairy in that time. I started eating yoghurt (approx. 75ml per day) in the last few years because I thought it would be a beneficial food not because of the calcium.

In my case, I have not seen any bone loss for not having dairy products. A bit anecdotal but I did not need to drink milk for my calcium to maintain healthy bones.

1 like

Yes you are right to benwl, we all know you don't need to eat yogurt or any other dairy products to get calcium..

This post does not even suggest that.

But you have to agree that it is an excellent source of calcium. 😁

1 like

I found that article very interesting, thank you.

1 like

Am I missing something here.

This post was about how yogurt was good for you..

I have not read anything in it that remotely suggested you have to eat yogurt or any other dairy products to get calcium... We already know that..😁

1 like

The original post's main point was about getting your daily calcium intake from yoghurt.

Any post invites comment and when the information infers something then it is quite reasonable to comment on that and provide further information. Hopefully the replies have enhanced this post and provided more food for thought. We can all learn from others especially when there is a different point of view.

2 likes

There is no different point of view from me... I totally agree with the members post.

Yogurt is good for you, "billions" of people who eat it will tell you that.

When I read your post it seem to me that you thought the milk marketing board put this post on😁

So maybe I did miss something 😁

1 like

The original post never mentions what the benefits of yoghurt are apart from calcium. All I was pointing out is how we can get brainwashed by marketing and there are alternative sources for calcium which maybe better than dairy. By posting my comment, others have indeed provided those alternatives.

I wish the original post would have mentioned what the nutritional benefits of yoghurt is but it did not. Maybe you can provide that information on what are the nutritional benefits of yoghurt apart from calcium.

2 likes

It's a very good point about the motivations of marketers.

Their starting position is usually something like "we want to sell more yogurt - so what health claims can we make for it", rather than "how much calcium do we need and what are good sources of it".

Of course those positions aren't mutually exclusive but always worth thinking about the motivations behind a claim.

2 likes

all you need to know on nutritional benefits on yogurt is on the net...look it up.

you did sound a bit peed off with your reply to this post and i did take it that you thought it was the milk marking board that put up this post and you did call on vegans to back you up...on something that anyone on here knows about already...

did you know that whole fat milk was Actually very good for you.

anyways to be fair no one knows who put up this post...and for what reasons it was put up for..😇

1 like

I was disappointed with a lack of substance in the post. I would like to have more evidence based information than what appeared a repeat of marketing information. So far no one has explained to me the nutritional benefits. As you seem to be more knowledgeable than me about this then I was hoping that you could share that with all of us rather than tell me to search the internet.

It is by questioning and not just accepting allows us to develop.

2 likes

your eating yogurt "every day" and you dont know why your eating it?

time to move on.

1 like

Yoghurts that contain live cultures provide health benefits, helping with gut bacteria diversity. As a fermented product it’s also easier for many people to digest than plain milk.

The fact that lots of people eat yogurt doesn't prove it's good for you. I was reading a book on the history of cancer treatment recently and apparently at one point almost 50% of the adults in the UK and the US smoked - and I'm sure that many of them would have said smoking was good for them or at least not bad.

For me that's the benefit of science - we can actually look for evidence beyond what people feel is true from their own experience.

Note that I'm not suggesting yogurt is bad - just that we can't say it must be good just because lots of people eat it.

3 likes

the benefits of eating yogurt has been mentioned many times on this forum, i think its probley one of the most mentioned and popular foods on here.

and there is "billions" of people who benefit form one of the worlds great food.

i put on a post a week ago on whole fat milk been healthy for you... there was very little response to it..i just took it that there was no one that could argue with it...

time to move on...

1 like

the original poster started off saying how yoghurt was a good source of calcium....several of us are disputing that

no it isnt !! see my reply earlier...

Let's have some logic here. Most research shows that 75% - 90% of the world's population is lactose intolerant, so, I presume you are not saying yoghurt is good for them.

Now assuming that 75% avoid dairy because it is not good for them, do we see the medical establishment saying the world has a pandemic of brittle bone disease? No, categorically not. If fact all research shows that those populations who do avoid dairy products have the LEAST problems from calcium shortage. Conversely where do we see an epidemic of osteoporosis? Well it occurs in societies that consume high amounts of dairy.

Research consistently shows that consuming dairy causes bone damage. How can this be when cows milk has calcium? Unfortunately cows milk is very acidic and once consumed the body has to correct that acidity level. It does this by removing calcium from bones!

Add to this problem others such as dairy is strongly linked to breast cancer because it is high in IGF1 (insuliing growth factor 1) and I for one recommend avoiding dairy not just because you are lactose intolerant.

1 like

Dairy remove calcium from our bones..

So why isn't there a government health warning on any dairy products.

Am not saying that what your saying not true...just like to see something that can back up your statement.

1 like

for the same reason there isnt a government health warning on all sorts of foods -the milk marketing board as was has a very strong lobby presence just as the sugar companies do and the governnment is very slow to act in the public interest

1 like

The Milk Marketing board shut down in 1994! The dairy industry is in decline in the U.K.

well yes I said " as was " - i think the dairy industry still has a lobbying presence as in the British Milk Council just like the sugar industry does

Now that the government is no longer full of land owners, farmers have very little influence on policy. The Milk Council doesn’t have the money or the clout of the processed food / sugar industry.

When it comes to calcium... it’s a vital nutrient for the body, so the body regulates levels tightly. If you don’t get enough calcium in your diet, your body will take it from your bones.

We don’t need to eat dairy, but it won’t do us any harm if we do.

sure I understand the physiology of calcium regulation ( used to teach A&P :) ) but it was the argument that dairy is a good source that I was disputing mainly because of the ratio of magnesium in it.

2 likes

Being lactose intolerant does not mean that you have to avoid yoghurt, it’s much lower in lactose than in milk because of fermentation. It all depends on your level of tolerance. It’s been eaten for thousands of years in numerous countries.

The adverse health problems you write about are controversial and not part of modern scientific advice.

1 like

My post earlier today indicates that calcium intake can be achieved without the need for dairy products. Osteoporosis could be the result of a more sedentary lifestyle. Weight bearing exercise is needed to maintain healthy bones and what you do in your early life sets you up bone density for later life. The body needs to be active to maintain its health.

Global stats are a bit meaningless as there are too many factors involved to draw conclusions. Is it possible that those populations that don't eat dairy have a more active lifestyle?

2 likes

Gee who would have thought a tiny pot of yogurt would cause such a debate They be stricking soon for better understanding of nutritional value

its not a tiny pot...its big 😬

1 like

Oh yet lol

But yogurts are full of aspartame chemicals.

not if they are plain ( natural ) and or organic

You may also like...