Healthy Eating
32,066 members4,420 posts

Fish chowder

This morning I prepared my mom's recipe of fish chowder in the slow cooker. She told me it was made special occasions in potlatches for the Chiefs and guests.

I'm sure I said it before, I'm a First Nation from the Toquaht tribe. Both my parents are hereditary chiefs (Very proud daughter).

The recipe is simple. 2 large salmon steaks, celery, onions, dill, salt and pepper. I like my potatoes so I made large diced ones in the pot, and small celery and onions diced. I put everything (0nly filled the water half of the slow cooker pot) in before I left for work at 8:30 on low. Everything was cooked at perfection after work. I thickened it to my liking with corn starch and lactose free milk. Served with 1 slice sourdough bread.

Thought I would share if anyone is interested :)

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi ShadowDee, this is really interesting and being proud of your parents, heritage is great, so I’m pleased for you, I also think it’s great having recipes from varied cultures and ideologies, so thanks for sharing this lovely family recipe.

Jerry 😊

4 likes

Wow, ShadowDee - that sounds so delicious! I think I would love to eat that. Many thanks for sharing your family recipe, and really interesting to hear about your Heritage as well.

Hope you have a great week.

Zest :-)

4 likes

your family recipe sounds very nice and as i got dill growing in the garden i think i will give this a try soon.

going back 50 years i was in the merchant navy and visited Canada a few times.. one of those times was fort William where i made friends form the near by indian village..i was only 17 years old then and the people there showed me great kindness ...and i still have very fond memories off week my ship was docked there.

PS..or was it Port Arthur next to Fort William.. memory starting to play up.

3 likes

Thanks everyone. I'll share again if a different dish comes to mind.

Seafood is very big in our family. I just have to work out if my husband who is diabetic can have some of the dishes.

2 likes

You may also like...