Avocado and pre-diabetes

A friend of mine has been classified as pre-diabetic. The nurse has given her a diet sheet of a healthy diet for pre-diabetes and diabetics. On the sheet it mentions that avocados should be restricted. I believe that avocados do not spike blood sugar so what would be the reason behind its restriction? Does the nurse think it is unhealthy?

Skip

Featured Content

Get tips and advice on eating healthy

Develop healthier eating habits & get more active. Our community helps to keep you on track.

Get started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It would be because of the high fat content.

• Is the level of fat a problem?

• Not in my opinion or that of people that endorse a real food way of eating phcuk.org/booklets/ . However, the NHS follow Public Health England guidelines gov.uk/government/uploads/s...

• Good because I told her to carry on eating as I felt avocados would be really good for her because of the fat content, vitamins and minerals.

The diet sheet seemed confused about the message to present and it made it difficult for my friend to understand.

I had a quick browse on the diabetes.co.uk website and everything seemed to be positive about eating avocados. In fact this link seems to be at odds with the NHS diabetes.co.uk/diet/nhs-die...

• I have just read a booklet on Alzheimer's which unfortunately she is in the early stages. One of the foods that it suggests for brain health is avocados.To me it was a no brainer (excuse the pun) that avocado was indeed beneficial for her plus she enjoys eating them.

• Avocado is a great food to eat and I do believe your friend should continue eating them-- especially if she likes them and they are very healthy for anyone. I'm a type 1 diabetic and I have avocado on salads, on the side and with other meals. Great job!

• Quite often these kind of "guidelines" have 3 sections - 1. foods that are encouraged 2. foods that are forbidden and 3. foods that are "restricted" - restricted in this sense usually means allowed but limited in quantity. Avocados are good for you - but I suspect that "too many" avocados would not be good for you because of their fat content. It is "good fat" and we need fat in our diets - but there is a limit!!

• HI. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic at the end of August 2016. I joined this forum and was advised to read Dr. Michael Mosely's book Blood Sugar Diet. The book describes in simple terms all about diabetes and its causes. More importantly it gives good advice about the correct foods we should eat. I didn't go on the 8 week diet but followed the advice and cut out the white stuff, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. A blood sugar check at the end of November showed that my blood sugar was normal. I've continued my regime ( don't do diets) and I've got my BMI into "healthy" band. The book does say that avacado fruits are ok and also not to bother with the low fat dairy products, but everything in moderation, keeping a watch on calorie intake. I've set a new target weight and working towards that now. So all good fortune to your friend and to all other "pre-diabetics" who may read this. Take heart, it can be beaten!

• This article might be both interesting and useful to your friend.

healthscams.org.uk/diabetes...

I cannot comment on whether avocados are good or bad.

• What an excellent link. I suggest other people read this to make up their own mind. It is so easy to believe in conspiracy theories but there is one startling fact that cannot be denied and that a diabetic epidemic is on us now.

The reason I take food state multivits&minerals supplement despite what I think is quite a healthy diet is because of nutrient soil depletion. So I was quite pleased to know that I am taking the recommended chromium.

I wonder if people who change their diet to control blood sugar have unintentionally increased their levels of chromium?

• Government guidelines. Probably no butter either. Where a little bit of butter is less harm that low fat spreads, full of sugar and emulsifiers.

You may also like...