Headway
5,558 members7,925 posts

A nurse touched a nerve...what should I do?

I recently had a blood test and now have shooting/tingling pains down my arm and hand particularly around the wrist/thumb area. The nurse involved supposedly inserted a needle into a vein at the elbow, but she must have done something wrong because I immediately felt intense pain in my hand. I'm guessing the needle either missed the vein completely or went through the vein, hitting a nerve directly below it. I thought the pain would be temporary because I didn't feel anything else later on that day, but now 4 days later I experience shooting/tingling pains when I extend the arm/twist the wrist and my arm movements are limited due to the pain. Will this pain go away and should I seek medical advice?

22 Replies
oldestnewest

can you phone and speak to your gp?

at my practise you can foud around midday and speak to a doctor, or phone and explain to the receptionist and they will check it out with a doc and let you know whether you need to come in

i would say better safe than sorry just get it checked out

I'll visit the doctor next week if the pain doesn't go away over the next few days. I don't know if they can provide any treatment for this, but if it's something permanent, it needs to go on my record.

Recently, I was having a cannula inserted into a vein and, having had so many previous ones, the doctor was struggling to find a fresh site. The one he chose was quite near the bone and it hurt like hell and had to be removed when my arm went numb. It took a couple of weeks before the sensations you describe finally subsided.

I got an apology and was warned that nerve damage can be slow to heal. Hope it's better soon.

Well, it's good to hear that yours healed, it brings some hope. I always thought nerve damage was permanent but I'll wait and see. If the pain doesn't go away over the weekend I'll visit the doctor. Thanks

Update...thankfully the pain has gone away and my arm (at least) is back to normal.

Hey, it's a relief to hear that your pain has gone and that it went back to normal. 5 days ago I had my blood drawn on the elbow side of the arm. Immediately when the needle was inserted, I felt an electric shock on my hand near my wrist and under the tumb area. I felt pain and sore on my whole arm through the first and the second day. Three days later, I felt shock like an electric current at the same spots when I extend my arm. Same feeling like you have had. How long till it all went away and your hand back to normal?

Hi...I am going through the same after a blood test gone wrong. Whenever I extend my arm I feel an electric shock in my forearm till thumb. Can you kindly let me how long did it take to become normal.

Hey, my arm got better in about a month. Just be careful with it and not to lift any heavy things. Hope you will feel better soon.

Hi Yuzaina - I had the same thing happened to me. It's been two weeks and I still have the sensations. How are you treating it and are you better now?

I am better now. It took about a month for me to get better. Just be easy with it and not to lift any heavy things. try not to extend your arm. hope you will get better soon.

Did you see a doc or got MRI done? I am worried! Any medicine?

I know how you feel. It will get better. Just wait it out and be gentle with it. no medicine, just eat healthy and look for food that can help replenish cell faster.

I had the same thing happened to me in 2011 except she struck a nerve I lost feeling in my pinky and the finger next to it took a year for the Va to finally see me at this point I lost a lot of muscle mass and blockage in my left arm I explained to the doctor he pretty much told me I was a liar that I banged my elbow to hard and my nerve for the funny bone was seized up ended up getting surgery five years later still have trouble with it. So be careful when having blood drawn and speak up no one else will and thanks OKC VA

Hi Brad983, I’ve just experienced the exact same thing, last week I had a blood test and had to ask the nurse to remove it because of the shooting pain down my arm. I’ve seen that this was 23 days ago, so I just wondered if your pain has gone? I’m getting a little worried as the pain in my arm seems to be getting worse.

Thanks

Hi. I am feeling this same as all of the above. How is your pain? I just had it done 4 days ago and seems to be getting worse. Especially when I lift anything heavy, extend my arm or go to the gym. Hoping it won't take a month to feel better!!

Hey man, I lift also and I just had this happen to me last Tuesday. I feel it when my arms are down, but it’s slightly painful when stretching it. When she inserted the needle, I felt a super sharp pain in my left upper forearm area by the hand. Let me know how your healing has come along, as I feel like it’s irritating worse as I go to the gym.

Make sure you report this to your GP, if only strengthen any compensation claim should this turn out to be a long term injury like mine.

That is exactly how I felt with the stretching it down and the pain towards my thumb when she instered the needle. From what I got talking to the nurses, she hit a nerve. It took me about 3weeks before i was able to fully workout omwiyh no pain. I used deep blue cream (doterra essential oils) and that really seemed to help. Good luck!

I had the same thing happen to me on July 14th, I guess the nurse was tired..lol it was 1:30am still it coming more bothersome everyday. Hope you get better soon

A nurse inserted the needle in to my tendon, intense pain, even though I was on morphine, I had a tingling sensation, which lasted 3 days. Months later I began to feel a severe aching pain in the crook and down my arm, enough to wake me up during the night. Now 14 years later it's a weak point and on occasion has flared up. I've had Physiotherapy, which hasn't resolved the weakness and if I have to lift a heavy object there's always a risk involved.

The same thing happened to me 21 yrs. A yellow jacket got me good. So the nurse giving me steroids hit a nerve. I've been to the hospital numerous times. I hope my arm doesn't take that long. I'll have to have my arm taped to my side.lol

Hey Anthony. Same exact issue happened with me this past Monday (4 days ago) and the pain is still there when i stretch my arms. Do you remember how long it took till your pain went away?

You may also like...