Retirement on Ill health grounds - Fibromyalgia Acti...

Fibromyalgia Action UK
47,984 members59,885 posts

Retirement on Ill health grounds


Hello my name is Sharon, I'm 45 and this is my first post. I have just been told I may be able to retire early on ill health grounds I would need 2 reports one from my GP and another from a specialist ? GP not a problem but having been diagnosed with fibro and depression for the last 6 years or so I have never seen a specialist. I received PIP at the high rate and even have a blue badge because of the fatigue I suffer. Last September I had my left wrist fused because of a condition called Kienbock's disease last week i ended up in hospital on an antibiotic drip as I had a severe infection due to the metal plate they used to fuse my wrist. I am going to have to have it removed sometime this year! I returned to work on a phased return in January and am off again. I have asked if I can retire due to my health. Over the last 5/6 years l have had long periods of absence and tried to return at least 3 times. I find now my industry moves quicker than my fibro/fibro fog will let me. I have worked for 29 years with the same company in banking. My worry is where do I get evidence from another specialist when there is none ... Any suggestions? 

7 Replies

See a rheumatologist. They are the medical discipline that Fibro falls under. If necessary make an appointment to see one privately. Usually more effective way to get a report as you pay for it. But please, choose a rheumatologist who has an interest in Fibro or you could be wasting your money and time. Your local private hospital will have a brief profile on their consultants. 

I was 50 when I was medically retired. Best thing ever!!! Don't know how I had time to work. Financially it's a different matter, but life is soooo much easier without the stress of having to be 'normal' and get up early, get to work, endure 8+ hours when your brain won't cooperate, then get home and start doing the house things!! Being retired means that you can pace everything which helps you get control of pain so making life more pleasant. 

Sorry, gibbering again. Hope all goes well for you, and see you around on the forum! 🐸

Thank you x

Hi Sharon, just reading your post and I was in a very similar situ to you and struggled trying to work, I really didn't want to stop working as I loved my job very much. It was made more difficult for me because I used to do a lot of private work and the pay was very good. Luckily I had a chance to see an occupational therapist linked to my work and he actually wrote a really good report all about my health and how he thought that my work was to stressful and physical for me to carry on. So in that respect I was lucky but I then had to go through all the process of proving that I was not capable or doing any kind of work. 

Then the fun came, in the end I phoned the hospital and asked them for my records, it took a few weeks and I think I had to pay about £15 for them but wow was it worth it.

I had diagnosis going back some 20yrs ago and lots of letters back & forth from doctors, physio  etc. and with my doctors letter, this was all the evidence I needed at that time. 

As Sorebones suggests, go private if you can afford to. 

hope this helps in some way

peace luv n light

Jan xx

Hi there

Welcome to the forum 😊 

As Sorebones has so rightly told you, the best thing you can do is to get a referral to see a Rheumatologist. 

Rheumatologists are the Consultants who specialise in diagnosing Fibromyalgia. However more recently Neurologisists are increasingly diagnosing Fibro too. 

Your GP can refer you or if you wish, you can go privately to see one. 

We do have some other members of the forum who have retired from their jobs due to ill health. I am sure they will comment too when they have seen your post. 

I hope that helps. 

Wishing you less pain and more peace

Lu x

Admin Voluntn

Thanks guys X

Hi Sharonlouisechambers

Welcome to the forum and it is wonderful to make your acquaintance. I have to agree with your other respondents as the best pale to start would be by asking your GP for referrals to Rheumatology, Neurology and Muskoskeletal type hospital departments.

I want to genuinely and sincerely wish you all the best of luck, and please take care of yourself.

All my hopes and dreams for you


You may also like...