We’ve bumped back down to earth after a perfect dating scan, and seeing our wriggly 13 week old baby again... But here we are, in a slightly darker reality - where our screening tests have come back as high risk for both Edwards and Patau syndromes.
I’d really appreciate any input & advice from anyone who has been through this already. I’m trying to stay calm (but mostly failing at that). From what I can see, both of these conditions are severely debilitating and quality of life is in no way guaranteed.
We speak to the hospital again tomorrow morning...
Options they gave us were:
1. Do nothing (we live with the worry & gamble on the basis it may be ok)
2. Go for invasive testing at 15 weeks, but this in itself carries a miscarriage risk. Here they extract fluid and placental tissue for testing via needle to stomach.
3. Wait until 20 week scan to check for physical abnormalities (liver, heart, kidneys etc). There is no option to terminate at 20 weeks, so this would be for mental preparation only.
4. Pay for non invasive testing (blood test which extracts baby’s DNA from my blood - will cost around £500). If it comes up positive, they may also suggest we go for invasive testing to be sure, but avoids the risk if it comes back negative.
I’ve cried my eyes out but it’s really not helping. I really need to properly think this through! Any advice, guidance, experience would be gratefully received.