Help please ...HSG test anyone ?? NHS or private ?

Ladies ,

Can someone help me on this ??

It’s just 4 months am on TTC, and am 33 yrs old and already freaking out seeing negatives and my period with these months . I am constantly on the internet checking the causes of infertility or to get pregnant faster . With my age factor am so worried and really scared about everything. My younger sister is 32 , India , was going through all the test with regards to infertility. She was prescribed to go tube test next month as all the blood test looks normal . That gives me a hint for me to do the same .

I did all the blood test in India 2 month ago , my thyroid was underactive and elevated prolactin. AMH was good .

Just had 2 weeks of thyroid tablet and did my thyroid test in Uk , it came to 3.96 and prolactin was normal . I was told to do next again in December.

I have a regular period . I was thinking the tube test , can I do the tube test at this point or should I wait some more months ??? Can I go and ask in NHS ?? Or in private ?? I bet NHS may ignore if I say am trying TTC just under a year . But with my age I feel I should act fast . What you guys suggest or advice ??? Please help .


23 Replies

  • I think 4 months is nothing for ttc but i do understand your concern. I think if you want this, test you would most likely have to go private. Nhs won't start investigations till you've been trying a year. 💗🤗😘

  • Thanks so much . okay let me check with the private near me .

  • Your welcome xx

  • You need to get your thyroid levels lower I think for ttc. I would sort this out before worrying about other tests. I’m sure someone on here or the thyroid support group will be able to help you out but I am pretty sure that I’ve seen people on here saying levels should be under 1.5? It’s definitely better for them to be lower when ttc.

    You’re right that nhs won’t do anything if you’ve been trying for under a year, it’s normal for it to take a while even for people with no fertility problems. You could try using ovulation test kits to help you to time intercourse?

  • Hey ya,

    Thanks for that . My doctor knows about my TTC and he says we can do a blood test again after 6 weeks which is on December. May be he can prescribe any medicine to lower the level after December, not sure?? I have an appointment on Monday as am gonna ask about my ovary pain this month from my mid cycle until my periods. I also have some discomfort or pain during intercourse .

    Can I remind him about my TTC and ask for any tablets to reduce my levels ??


  • Just keep reminding him and ask him to check what the latest recommendations are for ttc and thyroid.

    If you have pain during intercourse and painful cycle then you might want to push for endometriosis investigations if you are not pregnant after 12 months of trying x

  • Okay let me ask that . My lovely doctor is really good and he always listen to me and answers all my questions, no matter how stupid it is .. thanks for your help .

  • Agree with Lizzie. But endometriosis is a problem worth looking into in its own right, and I don't think you have to wait a year to investigate. And if you end up having an endometriosis investigation via laparoscopy, they can easily check your tubes while in there and can spot other problems that might be keeping you from getting pregnant. I had this done In Feb of this year. xx

  • May I add that many women think pain during intercourse and ovarian pain is normal and should be shrugged off (because they have been taught that 'lady pain' is normal), but it isn't. Stand up for yourself. xx

  • Thanks for that . I have appointment Tomo and let me insist my doctor to do that.

  • Yes lizzie is right it needs to be under 2.5 xx

  • If you really concerned go private, it’s a small price to pay if you want results quickly. If there’s something wrong you can then take your private results to a GP and likely get treated straight away on NHS. Many private practices do a fertility MOT, they’ll also give you a letter to give your doctor on their investigations.

    I don’t think you have anything wrong based on your recent tests, but it will give you peace of mind.

  • Thanks for that . I have my appointment Tomo and let me see what doctor says . If I feel he ignores me , am gonna look for private .

  • Hey ya ,

    Can you help please ,, I was browsing to check the private clinic near by and found one . They mentioned as fertility scan for 99 pounds ..below is the description, could you please check when you have time and let me know is it worth going here for endometriosis and tube block ?? Thanks so much

    Fertility assessment of pelvic organs, ovulation tracking, follicle development, endometrial thickness - £99

    Available by appointment at our Edinburgh, Motherwell and Ayr clinics. This is a detailed gynaecological examination. We will assess the size and shape of the cervix, uterus, Fallopian tubes and ovaries. We will measure the thickness of the lining of the uterus. We will check for common conditions such as fibroids, ovarian cysts, polycystic ovaries, endometriosis, polyps and pelvic inflammatory disease. This can check the development of follicles leading to ovulation in natural cycles or for women taking fertility medication. The scan can also check the condition of the lining of the womb (endometrium) prior to natural or assisted conception. This scan can also assess the pelvic organs in cases of infertility or recurrent miscarriage. If any abnormality is found we will refer you to your general practitioner for further management. Please arrive at the clinic with a full bladder. Transvaginal scan may be recommended to improve the views and will be carried out with consent at the same appointment. (Please note, this scan should be carried out during the second half of your cycle)

  • It sounds perfect! The cost is not bad at all. Once you do the test if they find anything then ask that the doctor right a letter to your GP and to send you a copy.

  • Thanks so much ,, okay let me book the appointment, it’s very close to my home . And I just finished my period yesterday so I can book this cycle.

  • That sounds like a good idea to investigate. However, they won't be able to find endometriosis on a scan (unless you have massive endometriomas in your ovaries like I did). I'd still go if I were you - especially since you'll gain some insight about your follicles. Hopefully it'll give you peace of mind since 33 isn't old :)

  • I had a scan in India 2 months ago , but the doctor just mentioned about fibroid and it’s tiny and not to worry . I am not so sure whether they checked ovaries, tubes and all . I should have educated myself to ask questions and investigate more. Thanks god atleast doing it now .. thanks for your reply .

  • 33 is young!! Having said that, sometimes people instinctively know when there is something wrong. If you strongly feel that way and you decide to go to a GP then perhaps don’t tell the exact truth about how long you’ve been TTC. Especially with a thyroid issue your medication will have to be right. It’s a long process you don’t have time to waste.

  • Thanks so much . Okay let me ask my doctor.

  • Are you using the ovulation monitors? They aren’t good.

    My sister has thyroid probs and wasn’t conceiving - after she went on the meds she fell pregnant. So definitely worth sorting that out. Xx

  • Yes I am using ovulation kits . I can feel the ovulation pain whenever I have intercourse previous nights . But I don’t usually get any ovulation pain if I don’t have intercourses near ovulation .

    so it’s in my head that sperm meets the egg, I may be wrong .. thanks for your reply .

  • Oh where are you?? Would love to see you 😝.

You may also like...