Endometriosis UK
34,078 members30,476 posts

What to expect

Hi, hoping you could offer me some advice. I have a Drs appointment next week and I'd like to know what to say and expect.

I've been suffering with bowel problems for a while now, painful BMs like cutting inside me and sometimes some blood. Have been to doctors about it but always just get given softeners and told I have IBS. Had given up on it, until I had a bit of a revelation a couple of months ago that I think it only happens during my period.

I thought this was weird so typed the two things into google and every link was endometriosis. I started reading and found out that painful periods aren't actually that normal, which I didn't know. I thought it was just one of those things. When I can't be at home I often find myself shaking and feeling nauseaus, then throwing up too. When I am at home I can stay still and then I'm not sick, but I do still feel very sick and I overheat a lot - is overheating an endo symptom? It comes in flushes and I'm only 26, then I get very cold afterwards. Also during my period I also feel like I need a wee all the time, but don't usually.

I get a lot of abdominal stabbing pains, and have previously been told that these are IBS. Maybe they are but it never felt right, my Dad had IBS and it didn't seem to be the same, but I guess everyone has it differently.

I'm booked in to see a Dr next week on Thursday, but I get very anxious about going and I'm worried I won't be forceful enough about wanting to know what's going on. I've had experience of Drs not taking you seriously a lot, I had gallstones and none of them would believe it because I was too young and not overweight, and it took going yellow and going to A&E and being tested for hepatitis and everything else before they would believe it. I've also suffered neck/shoulder pain since I was 14 and when they don't know what it is they don't seem to care. Basically I want to know what to expect when I go to the Doctors. What should I be referred to if you think these symptoms sound like endo? I've read some people have transvaginal ultrasounds, which makes me terrified, but I've read that a lot is missed on these, so why do they even refer you to them and not just go straight to lap?

I'm also bloated all the time, feel sick all the time and burping all the time (not just on periods), I'm barely ever hungry, and am so so tired about 2/3rds to 3/4rs of the time. Are these endo related? I was feeling around my abdomen and had pressure point pain around where my right ovary would be. This was just before my period though so I'm not sure if maybe that's normal? I haven't checked before.

I don't think, if I do have endo, that I have it as bad as some of you, but I'm concerned about not finding out and then having problems with fertility. I'm also a little concerned due to the bloating and sickness that it's something else.

2 Replies

Oh I forgot to say I also have always had brown spotting before periods, and thigh pain / cramps. Which I always thought was normal.


It could be endo that you have. My symptoms can be a bit vague too but the specialist thinks i have endo so i definitely think you should persue it. Its a good idea to keep a pain diary so that you can show your gp if there is a link to your symptoms and your monthly cycle. The only person who can help is you so do lots of research and keep asking your gp to refer you to a specialist. Make sure they refer you to an endo specialist though. You can find a list on the bsge web site xxx


You may also like...