Auto Immune type1 diabetes

I have several AID's The main one is Scleroderma. Recently I have been told I have Sacondary Vasculitis & put on 20mg of Prednisolone. Yesterday I found out that I was borderline Type1 Diabetis. This is also an AID. My blood sugar is high but I am not overweight & do not indulge in a lot of sugar. Does anyone know if it is safe to take steroids with type one diabetes. Thanks, Cinders.

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Type 1 diabetes means your pancreas has lost its ability to make insulin. There is no borderline.

Unless they immediately put you on insulin, you would be type 2, and although 85% of type 2s are overweight, 15% aren't.

When you say you don't indulge in a lot of sugar, how much carbohydrate do you eat because all carbohydrate is turned to sugar in your body?

Medical matters should be discussed with a health professional.

• Thank you so much for your advice. I am on prednisolone to reduce the inflammation of arthritis & Vasculitis. Should I reduce that slowly until I see my GP? I think it may be harmful. My diet is quite good. I don't eat too many carbs. Mainly anti- inflammatory food like fruit & veg. X

• Only a health professional should advise you about medication.

Grains, cereals, legumes, milk, fruit, tubers and root vegetables all have significant amounts of carbohydrate (as do flour and sugar of course).

• Thank you for for advice. I seem to have every Auto Immune illness going. I am thinking that because most of them are rare my doctor has had problems diagnosing some of them. Especially the vasculitis. I see him next week so I will try to sort things out then. Meanwhile I will take your excellent dietary advise.x

• I'm not sure that was advice, just information :-)

My advice would be to monitor how much carbohydrate you are having, follow this link diabetes.org.uk/documents/c...

and keep to about 40g per meal. Eat low Gi, low fructose carbs.

Have a sensible amount of greens which are not high in carbs.

Have a palm-size or less of natural protein at each meal, and make up the balance with natural fats.

These combined measures will normalise your insulin levels, and are truly anti-inflammatory.

• Thanks for the link. I'm off there now!

• Are you on inhalers?

• Not yet. Have to have more tests x

• Please let us know what the doctor says after the testing is completed. Hope it doesn't take that long to find out what's going on. I hate tests-- especially if it takes forever to get the results.

• Will do

• Great! I will check in some time after work this coming week.

• When you reach final meds and recommendations, have a chat with a Pharmacist - a simple review will be helpful in answering your question on steroids. There is a probability that you can gain weight as a result of them, but if you already know that, you want to be able to reach a happy medium. Here is where a Pharmacist may be of great help to you. The more you are able to build up your immune system the more you will have better control of your quality of life.

• Thank you for your help.

• Conserned gave you the truth there is no middle ground between a Type 1 and Type 2.

you have had great input from others and hope you get your answers soon and follow the diet until then, will help your immune system. It may also be time to get a second opinion from another doctor.

• Sounds like a good idea.

You may also like...