Have I had a Minor Stroke?

Hello, I am new on here. Eight weeks ago I was taken to A&E after having an episode. It started when I got up, feeling tired and not myself after having a bad nights sleep. I couldn't make sense of an email I was reading, and couldn't compose a two line email, it took me ten minutes to do it. I put it all down to feeling tired at first. I then started talking gibberish in a meeting and the right side of my nose and lip were numb. I also had pins and needles in my right hand. My husband took me to hospital. My symptoms were almost gone by now but my blood pressure was extremely high and I had a banging headache. My CT scan came back clear, a Doppler scan was normal and an MRI I had three weeks after the incident came back clear. The doctor is putting it down to migraine and I have no follow up appointment. I am going to see a Neurologist privately with Bupa. I hope he can help me, as I am worried it might happen again. Has anyone on here experienced similar symptoms and the doctor diagnosed you wrong.

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi.

You are very Welcome to our site I hope that we can be off assistant.

I have already had my Stroke bag out off the "blue"

Yes that is a good idea to go private for your treatment.

I have had my chronic pain since 2005.

The NHS has been next to useless to be honest.

I have gone private for my chronic pain.

I have found out more with only a small number off appointments than I have with the NHS over the past 11yrs.

Please let me know if I can be off help to you ???

Steve,

• Thanks Steve, I feel let down by the NHS and have gone private with other health issues. I'll let you know how I get. Diane

• Hi.

Yes me too, I feel very let down by them. I wouldn't mind but I worked over 10yrs with them.

So much for loyalty.

Steve.

• Thanks for the reply. I feel let down by the NHS that's why I am going private with this. If I have or haven't had a TIA, I just want to know what happened to me. Diane

• Hi,

Surprisingly similar symptoms but not misdiagnosed....jjust a long time coming and second seizure in between.

Mine was cvst...very rare.

Would def ask for second opinion

K

• Thank you. I hope you are keeping well at the moment. Diane

• Yes- I'm "OK". Planning my 3rd big trip since stroke.... :-) ... my blood clot is hanging on in there but I'm not giving up !

There aren't always magic wands to fix everything but a think a definite diagnosis is the best starting point .

• Hi,

I am also new on here but have hesitated to post as my problem seemed so minor.

However, I had the same thing happen to me.

Gibberish speech during a conversation with friends at the same time being aware that what I was saying was not what I wanted to say. It lasted about ten minutes or so.

Sent to TIA clinic same day. The two scans I had came back okay. After seeing the Cardiologist I was told I had had a Tia which was a warning mini stroke. I've been prescribed Clopidogeral, a blood thinner. Also if it happens again I have to call an ambulance. A very scary experience.

I am amazed at the treatment you have received and would certainly ask for a second opinion as soon as possible.

Hope you get it resolved quickly

Twoes.

• Thanks for your reply. I am seeing a Neurologist on 8th September, which I have arranged through Bupa. So hopefully will get to know what happened. All sounds very familiar, with the clear scans, and also a very scary experience. Hope you are feeling better now. Diane

You may also like...