glimepiride (amaryl) or / and vildagliptin(... - Diabetes India

Diabetes India
61,073 members11,806 posts

glimepiride (amaryl) or / and vildagliptin(galvus) instead of metformin

controlcause
controlcause

Did anybody experience iron and Vit D depletion with metformin and used amaryl and galvus(vildagliptin) successfully

12 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes

I have been a victim and no doctor was able to find out. After 3 years of suffering I am now on to lantus injection.

controlcause
controlcause in reply to edison

yes i was about to start lantus but gp said some side effects so continued meformin .now trying amaryl

nyonyo
nyonyo in reply to controlcause

what are the side effects that s/he mentioned? is this about lantus or insulin injection in general?

controlcause
controlcause in reply to nyonyo

i think it was kidney or liver related complications i do not recollect exactly as it was almost 2 years

nyonyo
nyonyo in reply to controlcause

Ehm...insulin is injected subcutaneously, how could it possibly affecting kidney and liver? Unlike pills, insulin doesn't go through GI tract and get absorbed by kidney or liver

controlcause
controlcause in reply to nyonyo

Not sure if it was for Lintus or insulin or victosa or another option (i forgot the name) diabetologist suggested but GP turned down . GP knows my body for years so went with her decision

In people with Type 2 diabetes who take metformin therapy, serum folic acid levels decrease 7 percent and vitamin B12 levels decrease by 14 percent. B12 and folic acid depletion also increases homocysteine levels. In addition, metformin may deplete CoQ10, thereby increasing heart disease risk.

Great information..do you have the study ? My gp is looking for it as well.

I developed vitamin b12 sufficiency. VERY traumatic. Now I'm taking metformin+cobalamin

after stopping metformin my haemoglobin jumped from 10 to 14.2 without any effort . hba1c is 5.2 with 50mg x 2 vildagliptin and 1mg x glimeperide

Can anyone say, Is it any complication or side effect for lantus insulin? I m using it for the past 3 years.

Common side effects insulin glargine (generic name) lantus insulin (brand name) include low blood sugar, problems at the site of injection, itchiness, and weight gain. Serious side effects include low blood potassium.

Links:-

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insul...

medlineplus.gov/druginfo/me...

You may also like...