Cellular damage in Diabetics; what contributes more to it?

This question haunts me these days, after listening to a diabetic (3 decades) friend!

His Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) is above normal. He feels that high Insulin be more responsible than high BS!

What is the "opinion" of members/experts. After all is it not the "opinion" of yesterday that becomes the "Science" of today/tomorrow.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Does he have any problems with joints? ESR, CRP etc get elevated due to that (OA/RA etc) also if other things are not pointing to the cause. That said, insulin is the key and that blows all other bio-metrics out of the window when it comes to correlation with disease:

thefatemperor.com/blog/2015...

• Anup

ShooterGeorge

"His Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) is above normal. He feels that high Insulin be more responsible than high BS!"

It should be high glucose and not the high insulin responsible for the inflammation.

One has to find out how insulin can cause damage. High glucose does it by producing oedema in the body leading to less oxygen available to the tissues and increasing ros production.

• Both, I guess, are interrelated. Also, one can have normal blood sugar (through use of medications that push up insulin levels in blood -- and that's something that only self educated diabetics like us focus on) but land higher insulin levels. So, I would say controlling insulin levels should never lose focus. Else, the tongue (taste buds) enjoys life and body suffers :)

• Anup

true. Bringing down insulin level is the key treatment but high insulin level itself has no role in inflammation directly imho.

One has to look for other causes for high esr. Diabetes never causes high esr alone. And kindly let us know how high is esr.

The most important causes may be tuberculosis and non symptomatic git or lung infections.

You may also like...