Type 1 diabetes

My daughter is 6 years old diagnosed with type 1 jst a month ago. She got diagnosed unfortunately when she had DKA. She was better after a week of hospitalisation but 10 days ago she had fever and when i chkd her ketones there were traces. Her sugar level was between 60 to 80 even after heavy meals. After 3 days her fever was gone but i still see traces of ketones. Now her sugar is rising n is between 150 to 230. Plz suggest me what should i do for ketones and how to manage sugar as i give her proper doses of insulin

3 Replies

• Dear arshia,

My feelings with you. Poor child.

Ketone is usual with sick days.

More insulin is needed during sick days.

The 60to..80 even after heavy meals is difficult to explain plain. Ignore it. May be something like reactive hypo.

More data needed to explain it.

Consult doctor regarding rising blood sugar. For readjust dose of Insulin.

What regimen you are asked to follow?.

You must learn carbohydrate counting.Learn diabetes from mayo clinic, world's best medical website.

National institutes, and ADA.

Ketones will go away after sugar, insulin, food etc match.

All the best . come again. Don't hesitate to ask.

• Arshia, you telling, even after heavy meals means, :you disregard food quantity .) consult some dietitian to design a food pattern - - this you need once only - -

Then go by the technique of food exchange. If you go by non professional advice

You will destroy the growth of your child by Nutrient torture. She needs variety of fruits, vegetables etc for growth. Good luck.

• Check through this success story of mother of a 10 year old type 1 daughter of a registered MD with 11 years clinical experience:

Ketones are bad only when they exceed a limit ie Diabetic Keto Acidosis. This can occur in absence of insulin and before DKA, sugar levels would already have reached sky high.

Regarding insulin dosing, it has to be based on carbs and proteins in meal.

You may also like...