Novel CoQ10 Antidiabetic Mechanisms Underlie Its Positive Effect

Prevalence of insulin resistant (IR)/type 2 diabetes nowadays depends on the slothful life style on one side and on the high intake of “Westernized” diet, which deemed to be the main environmental trigger [1], [2], on the other side.

Pathogenesis of this metabolic disorder emerges from a complicated interplay between several factors, including mitochondrial dysfunction that lies somewhere along a continuum from genetic to environmental abnormalities. Several studies have pointed to the paramount importance of the mitochondrial dysfunction in different metabolic disorders including IR/type 2 diabetes [3], [4]. Mitochondrial dysfunction was found to be an underlying mechanism and a complication of diabetes, with a major role played by oxidative stress [5]. Hence, treatment or supplemental strategies that contemplate on improving mitochondrial function and constraining oxidative stress might present important prospect.

Read further here

51 Replies

• Also read..

Many studies suggest a central role for oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of this multifaceted metabolic disorder. This has prompted investigations in the use of antioxidants as a complementary therapeutic approach [Golbidi et al., 2011]. Serum CoQ10 levels in type 2 diabetic patients are often decreased and may be associated with subclinical diabetic cardiomyopathy, reversible by CoQ10 supplementation [Miyake et al., 1999]. In 3 separate randomized, double-blind clinical trials, a total of 194 dyslipidemic type 2 diabetic patients received 200 mg CoQ10 or a placebo daily for 12 weeks. One study also compared CoQ10 stand-alone treatment to a CoQ10-fenofibrate combination and to fenofibrate (a lipid-lowering medication) alone.

• Originally going to reply to this:

Blah, blah, blah whether it supports my view or not

However, on reflection, give me a break!

• Too much, this will not help anyone looking for answers!

• Certainly !!.....only Basilisk will lead them to answer.....

• Your body makes CoQ10, and your cells use it to produce energy your body needs for cell growth and maintenance. Peanuts are a good source of COQ10.

Diabetics can benefit long term by using COQ 10 supplements.

• As one ages, one needs more CoQ10. On statins, needs further more. With exercise it needs still higher. So on and so forth.

• @anup I feel improvement in mitochondrial function will be one more avenue to control blood sugar.

It is said shilajeet works /enhances the action of coq10.

LOL...but after many years or follow up.... I am still confused what shilajeet means..... :D organic or it is and what process is involved in many things....

• Himalaya cannot supply the needed raw material even for one company that makes shilajeet :)

Likewise, all the bees in India cannot even cater to Pathanjali honey stock, forget about others like Jiva, Himalaya, Dabur etc etc :)

• but guess we can get good quality coq10

• Yes. Far higher probability than finding real shilajit. Origin if shilajit is Himalayas and not sure how many of these companies have real people in Himalayas as collection agents.

• God knows @anup we really don't know what is real shilajeet...and how to test the same....

• From what I remember reading, shilajit comes from the natural stuff that oozes out from between rock crevices in the Himalayas. This I read long ago so could be wrong too, just recalling from the top of my head :)

• hmmm yes @anup what you recall is right...

When I was in school..on my way to school there were few road side Vaida selling 'Sande Ka tail' and sheelajeet for 'EXTRA POWER' lol....

They use to shout..." pathhar ka paseena hai...himalay ki choti se aya huwa kajana hai"

In russian it is called is said in certain areas of himalaya in summer you find this substance in cracks formed in contains fluvic acid....humic acid...

Humic acid is something you can find in many things...Humic acid is also used as fertilizer.

But no one is sure about how it is formed.

• Hmmm so looks like Low carbs and High FAT diet is keeping my brain humming nicely -- I can still remember things that I read 5 years back. So, diabetes isn't giving me problems and nor is this HIGH FAT diet.

Forget shilajit, take turmeric :)

• Oh yeah...fresh curcuma amada and curcuma longa are still available here in local market....

Yesterday only made pickle of same ....which will last me till end of august...and by then i will get fresh supplies of same....

hmmmm do u know about one more wonder drug from Himalaya like shilajeet???

Yartsa Gunbu/winter worm....

Read here....

• Even I take Turmeric pickle :)

• just add some crushed black is said it will increase bio availability of curcumin....

Further...I am trying to get black haldi this haldi contains atleast double curcumin than any other species...

• Yes, black pepper is added. After a long break I have started taking a cup of milk with turmeric + black pepper. Milks is FULL FAT milk of course.

Turmeric does wonders to dental health too. So many a times, I just chew the pickle all by itself. Made with lemon juice and some pepper and salt added.

• Great......try this curcuma amada.....ambe halad..... it will help to bring down TG

• My last TG was around 100-110.

Let's see where it lands this year in Sept when I will be going for a detailed check after 3 years :)

• Hmmm @anup ek bat batao yar...

Ye log bolte hai....ek gm fat liver se jayegi toh tum think ho jawoge....

Now With LCHF I am sure fat melts....toh yar...ek gm liver se nahi jati???

U follow this keto diet for so long....i don't think any fats in ur liver now....

Kya manjara hai ye???

I am confused...

• precisely that's my point and doubt .

• I follow LCHF primarily and Keto only once in a while. My aim is to be on Keto of 1/3 of total year. So will keep switching in and out of keto. How far I will succeed in doing this is yet to be ascertained.

As for visceral fat, well that contention is based on Newcastle study done on BMI > 34.

Are we that obese? My BMI has always been around 25+ since last five years now. For 22 BMI, i have to look like a Coat hanger walking with a hung coat. So, I don't fret over useless BMI theory.

Don't eat carbs beyond liver's glycogen storage capacity is the rule that I follow. Let good fats (including saturated fat) do the real job :)

If first stage insulin response is screwed up, nothing much can be done. It's screwed up for life. Staying on hypocaloric diet for life isn't possible.

• hmmmm yes @anup you are right...

Newcastle was for high BMI ppl....

And is there any way we can improve first phase of insulin response???

• By the time we are detected Type 2, some extent of beta cell function is already lost. We can't get them back.

To preserve what is left, stay below 120 for PPBS and ~90's for FBS. How? Not thru drugs that whip the pancreas more, but by reducing the need for insulin -- ie CUT DOWN CARBS drastically.

• Very true.....

• cure @anup

According to the New Castle study, insulin secretion returned to normal after the participants lost about one gram of fat from pancreas. They lost lot more fat from liver before their FBS normalized. Those who got their diabetes in remission still remained obese. They were asked to consume 2/3rd of calories that they consumed before the experiment to keep fat from accumulating in their liver and pancreas again.

Interestingly, not all obese people have liver and pancreas clogged with fat. While many slim people have.

In an online Q&A session, Dr. Taylor opined that losing fat from liver and pancreas is the key, and it could be achieved with any diet regime, even LCHF. They chose hypocaloric diet because they were mimicking bariatric surgery where the patient can consume very few calories.

BTW, with this diet they did not observe any improvement in peripheral insulin sensitivity.

• Dr Jason Fung says -- Bariatric surgery is surgically imposed fasting. He is against that surgery :)

Newcastle study, do we have any data on what happened on follow up of those 11 odd (not sure if that was the number) guys and gals?

• Or fasting is stomach stapling without surgery and associated complications. :D

Nobody in his right mind would(should?) suggest bariatric surgery to a diabetic given the risks and complications, when the same benefits can be obtained from fasting.

• jingale -- It is being marketed desperately. IIRC, somewhere in UK it is suggested recently that UK should perform more of them as they are currently limited by numbers.

Best is -- IF without any stapling and surgery. As it is, on the truncated diet, fasting is like a walk in the park. My personal experience is I feel full even with half the volume that I used to eat on so called "Balanced Diet".

• Guess now days this is covered in medical insurance in western countries...

earlier it was not

• You find some paper or the other every month signifying how great this surgery is. This is what makes me believe that INDUSTRY calls the shot in all these fudged research.

• Has there been a systematic study on the stomach stapling surgery?

• it is said about 65% population gets cured

• And relapse after 3 years. Our diet has better track record :)

• yes...and less risk

• Well, risks are non existent unless a hyper-responder to fats. That population is out of luck even with drugs.

• Remission for 3 years is significant. One can still adopt a low carb diet to avoid weight gain.

• I meant studies on risks and complications of bariatric surgery.

• One complication that I know of in my city -- A lady Oncologist died within 4 days of surgery in a renowned hospital - Choithram Hospital -- and this never made it to headlines. Not sure if all such cases ever make it to the Stats book.

IIRC, 13% failure is guaranteed requiring multiple revisits :)

• What exactly happened to her after the surgery? Any idea?

• Dead was a small page 2/3 news. If it was successful, it would have made big headlines on page 1.

And, remember she was an Oncologist herself working in the same hospital, IIRC. So, must have had the best of treatment possible.

• AFAIK, the surgery costs a bomb.

• 5 lacs minimum. Post operative care could be anything depending on complications. And, it does relapse as per one diabetic from Bangalore who posted on the "other forum" for many cases that he has witnessed relapsing.

• Not sure if this is also what happened to the oncologist:

Being a Pune case, cure would be knowing about this.

• The deceased was a qualified doctor herself. She weighed 75 kg and still underwent weight loss surgery! She should have known better.

• Non practicing doctor -- more of a property dealer than a doctor like one of my distant relatives in Mumbai :)

• No...Don't have idea....but hmmm command hospital means he must be looking for cheap option....

And it happens...when civilians visit command hospital all chances that new trainees practice on those cases..

But even case is successful.... in longer run...these patients will face problems due to malnutrition....

Science is still searching for many secretes of body.... many things are unknown....

• "fresh curcuma amada and curcuma longa"

IS it available in Mahatma Phule mandai ?

• yes

Only at one place....if u like plz contact me on monday...I will take u to that shop

• Not possible for me on Monday but later in the week.

You may also like...