Are we looking in wrong direction ?

There have been extensive studies of pancreatic islets , liver , fat cells as well as brain , gut , vasculature and muscles. Evidence now exists to support an important role for each in metabolic homeostasis and for a causative role for several organs in both diabetes and obesity. Many treatments for obesity and diabetes have focused on the role of diet and physical activity. Most pharmaceutical research focused on control of food intake, increased energy expenditure or improving insulin action. But DESPITE EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THEIR UTILITY, THEY HAVE NOT YET SLOWED THE GROWTH IN RATES OF OBESITY OR DIABETES.

Perhaps the time has come to expand our research to carefully investigate the environmental changes that have accompanied the epidemic of obesity and diabetes.

What are those environmental changes we should take into consideration ?

28 Replies

• dear patliputra,

i think this is too much outside the scope of a discussion in a forum.

errors in a homeostasis, in biological sciences, is

[not merely similar]

but exactly the same thing as i n the case of physical systems which are non biological--

-for example instrument landing of an aircraft [or auto pilot].these things involve deep mathematical understanding clearly out side our scope

and biologist picks up the translated mathematical models.

in other words in many aspects of medicine and biology we will remain as the blind men who went to see the elephant...each telling it is like a pillar or a broom, a fan and so on.

but the luckiest thing about nature is that

we may arrive at a cure with out an actual understanding of its cause.

do we know how the rabies virus kills a man?

but we inject the dead or deactivated cells of the virus and get a cure in 99 percent.

postmortem studies of people who died of rabies tells that the brain is intact!!!

then what?

nothing .

we cured ,saved with out knowing how the virus kills.

we may be in the wrong direction but insulin solves,metformin and pioglitazone ,almost solves.

thanks for patient listening

good luck.

• I think it is very much within the scope of discussion within this forum. As I have mentioned, medicine, diet and physical activity all improve blood sugar control but these steps have utterly failed to arrest or slow down the epidemic of diabetes and obesity.

So above measures are only symptomatic and unless we look for other factors which are hitherto unexplored and uninvestigated we will not be able to arrest the spread the diabetes and obesity.

• "utterly failed" is not factual.

if you go on eating bakery and fast food to your taste ,

then in such individuals it fails utterly.

i will ask it in another way.

is there anybody in this forum

who has failed

[1]without inter current disease,[ i mean those who are healthy otherwise]

2]a balanced and calorie limited food

the right amount of medicine.

4] physical activity.

5] right body weight

what is the percentage?

i mean those who failed in control.

and what is the percentage of obese people who failed medicine and balamced and calorie limited food?[ a negligible minority of insulin insensitives]

all of them taken together are less than 50 percent of all diabetics.according to the world medical bodies.

and among the fifty who is not under control

how many takes insulin?

of course i know modern insulins are expensive.

good luck

• The slum dwellers around Chennai who are also turning diabetic aren't eating bakery. The whole concept of balanced and calorie limited has failed for decades now.

I came to know y'day on my forum that a diabetic on 70 units of insulin daily reduced to 17 units by taking the "real balanced" food (LCHF) and got better sugar control. Eating so called balanced food and covering with industrial doses of insulin is never the right solution, no matter who in the world says it.

As to who failed with the theory of balance food on this forum? Mchinna is one example. He failed for 3 decades and succeeded with LCHF in days.

• All the dietary regimes along with or without medication, only help to control blood sugar levels and minimise complications,thereby improving quality of life. But all these are unable to slow or arrest the tide of disease.

So there must be something which needs to be investigated and taken care of to at first to slow down the rising trend of diabetes.

• HIGH CARB LOW FAT DIET. Every disease has gone up ever since the useless Low fat theory came into existence.

DUMP the LOW FAT theory and everything will decrease. Anyone studying elevated insulin in blood? NO!!!

All are studying color,creed,race,social background, environmental dust, noise, arsenic in ground water, activity as variables .... no one looking into cutting down the real culprit -- elevated insulin in blood. They never will look at it, because the moment they do HIGH CARB LOW FAT theory (specially the 7% SFA theory) has to be dumped

• It is not correct to say that no study has been done or is not being done on the phenomenon of hyperinsulinemia. I myself has raised the issue in this forum.when I said hyperinsulinemia precedes by many years before diabetes is diagnosed.

Hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance are issues that needs further discussion,but that will become a little more technical .

• Most look for some genes, some proteins, some pollutant in air, dirty electricity, problem in water or some other trigger. None have blamed explicitly HIGH CARBS. At best they say 'processed carbs' in a very soft tone. They still are looking at "some variable" which will give them a clue for the next patented drug.

Till "scientists and experts" funded by drug industry FIX dietary guidelines and other "Safe" LIMITS, don't expect any improvement. Only thing that will improve is the balance sheet of the drug industry.

And, they will keep pushing rigged research for another 40 years to show that SFA is bad till 70% of world population becomes obese and diabetic. That's the main goal behind pushing HIGH CARBS low fat.

• You are entitled to you exclusive views. But you are able to say all researches as rigged only because of committed researchers. There are more honest ,sincere and committed scientists who are devoted to the welfare of humanity.

• And yet Humanity suffers. WHY? How many researchers have stopped blaming sedentary lifestyle and blame ADA's dietary guidelines? Wasn't Sydney Diet Heart study rigged originally? Gary Taubes has noted that sedentary lifestyle has nothing to do with the diabesity menace.

We consistently blame the dietary guidelines and prove it that they are wrong by what we do and achieve on medical reports and 75% reduction in drugs. Few days back someone else reported insulin reduction from 70 to 17 just by ditching ADA's High Carb Low Fat horrible dietary guideline.

Another diabetic reduced insulin from 16 to 6. In January 2013 I had just my values to talk of. Now I can keep quoting cases after cases. It's no more a case of "SPECULATIVE BLOGGING" as someone called it then :)

• No body is blaming any body. On the contrary,please read your own blogs ,you will know who is blaming whom.

I for myself keep an open mind and like to have some productive discussion. I can also quote different writers to counter Gary Taubes.but that is not the point.

I am not interested. Thank you.😀😀

• Yes we blame the diet and the associations which preach that diet. Someone will blame bakery, some will blame weight others will blame sedentary lifestyle. Even researchers blame something in conclusion.

• I will not be drawn into that controversy.😋

• Here I am not talking about success or failure of treatment. What I am saying is that despite all medication,following this or that diet regime and physical work outs, there is no slow down in the incidence of diabetes. That is why need to look some where else,the factors which continues to affect us as far as diabetes and obesity is concerned.

• Utterly failed because of a horribly wrong diet covered with plethora of drugs. Diet is HORRIBLY wrong and obesity/cvd/chd/diabetes/.cancer rise proves it.

Looking for environmental factors and still not looking at fixing the broken dietary guideline is not the right solution and will never work. It may help in feeding few more patented drugs to humans. The whole research is drug centric because diet cannot be patented.

On env factors yes they are researching on arsenic in ground water now :)

• Association between high levels of arsenic in drinking water and diabetes have been studied. But the results are statistically not significant. Even this association may be due dietary factors.

• Originally whenever one was diagnosed as diabetic it was attributed to heredity and as a biological disorder of intolerance to sugar. Now it is also attributed to obesity as a cause there by meaning it can also be an indused disorder due to overweight. Various diet protocols were devised to control obesity and possibly the effect of diabetic symptoms got reduced or nullified in a few cases. What type of diet protocol advised for obesity control is now thaught as a miracle diet for controlling diabetes as well.. Although a few in this forum feel so and advocate this diet to diabetics both in their own dedicated forum and in this forum as well and cite isolated cases of success of such control of diabetic symptoms , there is no organised research available through recognised professional bodies either of these issues-viz -is it hereditary or it can be induced as epidemic disease. While I can appreciate diet can be a dominant cause for obesity which present generation of people are prone to, it is hard to believe that diabetes is only because of dietary misadventure. Many allegations are made that present research is at the instance of drug companie not motivated towards elimination of this malady but to support their business,These allegations have not found credibility with scientific c ommunity as yet.

Human species as well as other living species are part of creation of nature. When so much of interference and alteration of nature is taking place with impunity,]and aggression on nature how can we believe that our body is not affected by such changes in climate, addition to polluted air and water, use of pestides in farms and changes in temperature etc.,?

While research in the last few centuries were in the area of identifying nature and its forces and harnessing in reducing human drudgery from hard physical work by inventing gadgets such as Airoplanes,motor cars ,trains ,buses etc., and now mobile phones,computers to reduce mental strain and memory, all these have definite effect on altering our living habits and style but definitely affected our genetic parameters.

Now we see the so called research is attempting and party succedded in genetically modifying our crops,and even animal s used as food.

Therefore when all these are herent in the modern system, it is tall claim that one small change in diet is capable of curing diabeties

A drastic change in the way our science is developing is required. What pataliputra says in his post is appealing to commonsense..

• Very well presented. Thank you.

• agreed

• ragivrao -

Look for it, you will find organised studies. Lot many have been quoted on my "dedicated" forum also. If you are looking for ADA sponsored systematic studies favoring LCHF diet, I am afraid that's not going to come in another 50 years. Dr Unwin and his team did some study on LCHF followers on diabetes UK's forum. Also, all followers of LCHF diet across the world, including those who are on ADA's forum are a systematic study in itself. We don't need ADA's certificate of approval. It's not Isolated case. Must have been isolated case in 2013 when my postings were called "speculative blogging" by someone. Not now because I can quote not one or two isolated cases but a huge huge number. Yes for few out here, 400 is also a isolated case. Anyone who religiously switches meets success :)

There was a systematic study to find how much exercise helped a Type 2 diabetic on ADA's diet to reduce CVD/CHD. Answer they got after a decade was it had ZERO benefit. So if studies are that important, all walking and exercise should stop because 10+ year long study on 5000+ diabetics showed that exercise offered ZERO benefit in reducing CVD/CHD in case of Type 2 diabetics on ADA diet.

LCHF diet is not presented by anyone following it as a Miracle diet. It is presented as a workable diet which shows great impact, but doesn't claim to be a diet with Magical Cure :)

• We have diverted from the core of topic. As I have said earlier, all the different diets,different physical activity and different medications including insulin,all leads to only one thing ,ie all singly or in combination,the control of blood sugar. None has till date been able to arrest the progression of diabetes. These all only improve the quality of life.

Diabetes has taken the form of epidemic . It has grown and growing at a tremendous pace. So genetics,diet and sedentary life style may all have a role to play, but these are not the ultimate factors. So we have to look to things which were not looked into. The most important is the environment and changes in life style. A very serious thought has to be given to things which are not in focus.

• Start a campaign at

If you ask me, nothing is going to change even if you get 1 million supporters. The entire pharma money funded research is for huge profits and not for cure or solution. They grow fatter if they keep you sick.

So, they will keep/get you sick through so called "healthy and balanced" diet and once your system's threshold to bear such a lousy diet breaks, you are their lifelong customer.

There's also a recent research which shows how few "researchers" from few countries are dominating the content published. A huge chunk of them have conflict of interest (pharma money).

• Hey Rao,

Can you please help me find some "organized study" which shows that Khapli cures diabetes? Or is it that "organized studies" are only required for LCHF? Look at LCHF followers as this way:

They are following it to manage their weight (falls in line with organised studies) and as an added benefit they are reducing drugs for blood sugar, lipids and BP and achieving near normal blood sugars (not what ADA calls normal). They aren't following it for managing sugar. They are following it for managing weight/obesity -- that should eliminate the demand for "organized study". They just can't eat half stomach for 6 to 8 times a day as they find it utterly impractical. Moreover, they find the so called healthy and balanced (High Carb Low Fat from ADA I mean) diet pretty allergic as their blood sugar starts increasing the moment they try to switch.

Pl take a look at -

You will find enough "reliable" data on how drug money calls the shots in the entire chain. If someone still doesn't want to believe it, it's their call. There are lot of plead guilty cases in drug fraud involving all major drug companies.

• Actually our experience is limited to English speaking countries. So outside of it ,we know nothing about.

• Here's one case of INDUSTRY dominance in diabetes research where 110 authors published 33% papers and authored 920 RCT. Of these 110, 44% were employed by drug industry, and 56% were academicians who worked closely with the industry. Out of 920 RCT's 906 were commercially sponsored. Check:

and the link from that post. The study was published in BMJ

So, can we ever expect fairness?

PS: Putting link of after a long time, so not violating terms.

• There's some data that a very high percentage of research papers are published by handful researchers from these countries and majority of them have links with pharma money -- conflict of interest.

As an example, Sir Rory Collins will not give the data on side effects of Statins to anyone for analysis. Dr Aseem Malhotra wants the data but Collins said that the data is protected by NDA with the drug company that supplied the data. NDA for side effects data of a statin drug for which patent is already expired? Sounds sinister.

It's well know that Sir Rory Collins is avid supporter of Statins and Dr Aseem Malhotra pitches against it due to side effects. So, why is side effects data not being made public? Million dollar question :)

• The statistics presented here, that 96percentage of research is confined to four countries of the world that too from only from English speaking countries and further that 44 percentage of such research is sponsored directly by drug industry and balance by academicians aligned to drug industry, amply clarifies the issue raised in the post by pataliputra that “are we in the wrong direction”and dismantles and renders all that was stated in the long and arduous verbosity by other blogger a futile argument.

• ragivrao -

Pl don't pass judgment about other bloggers. That's against the terms of the site, just in case you do not know. It is this habit of yours that draws people into unnecessary communications and spoils the purpose of this forum.

You are no one to judge others here and by passing such negative comments you are doing nothing but taking the lead insulting fellow bloggers for no good reason. Pl learn to disagree with fellow bloggers here respectfully instead of looking for non existent reasons to insult, pass judgments or hand out certificates of competency.

No one passes negative judgment about you or your posts, despite this attitude of yours. So learn to reciprocate like a gentleman. I am sure it is not too difficult to be a gentleman.

You may also like...