Beta blockers and blood sugar

Many diabetics are also hypertensives. They are prescribed apart from hypoglycemics (for controlling high blood sugar ), medicines to lower blood pressure. the commonly prescribed medicine to lower blood pressure is Beta Blockers. These act by slowing heart rate and reducing the force of heart beat. Apart from its action on heart ,it also has some effect on other organs including liver.

When blood sugar falls liver converts stored glycogen into glucose and pumps into blood. The beta blockers block this action leading to hypoglycemia.

The most commonly drug used is Atenolol. It is a selective beta blocker,hence its action is confined mainly to heart and as such has very negligible effect on the liver.

10 Replies

• "For example, if you have chest pain (angina), your doctor may recommend a beta blocker, which can lower your blood pressure and also prevent your chest pain, reduce your heart rate and decrease your risk of death. If you have diabetes and high blood pressure, taking a diuretic plus an ACE inhibitor can decrease your risk of heart attack and stroke. If you have diabetes, high blood pressure and kidney disease, you may need an ACE inhibitor or an angiotensin II receptor blocker."

from mayo

• you are right. But diabetics should know that blood sugar control can be

upset because of these antihypertensive drugs, Not only bs, but also HbA1c can go up.These can be brought to normal by diet,dose adjustment,or by chaining the drug.

whether one is taking ACE inhibiter or ATENOLOL the long term result of both medication is same as far as cardiac complication and mortality is concerned .

• agreed.

but much more important is probably to be aware

a medicine can trigger[ repeat trigger] another disease in a man.

in my case the propranolol triggered my psoriasis.

if i had never taken propranolol at all

i would have never had psoriasis at all.

but this is not cause effect relation.

i am prone to autoimmune diseases.

so propranolol just became a trigger.

this type of triggers can come from food stuffs as well.

and still mysterious

a certain food can be food for a bacterium in stomach. that bacterium now becomes a trigger for a disease.

mystery.sometimes a food causes trouble . sometimes no trouble. why ? horoscopic?

in the same person at a time if the bacterium is absent

the food does not cause harm.

in my personal experiments i had proved it some 7 times or so..

cannot believe?

it is true.

good luck

• Yes. Propranolol, being non selective Beta Blocker has effects on wide range of tissues. Psoriasis is a known side effect of propranolol. Hope you recovered from that skin condition.

• yes and no. lot of explanation

• No need for any explanation. Pleople are more interested in doda Ka fool and ed than knowing real things.

• that is because their understanding of medicine is in the classical style with fear of side effects.

so a herb or a truncated diet will serve better than the side effects they fear.

and an unprocessed herb will contain only low value doses.

and most medicines are near perfect with out side effects.

insulin is one of them.

some antibiotics wich inhibit a bacterial cell wall synthesis is also near perfect.

thyroid hormone substitution?

good luck

• It is general mentality to accept and try unproven things, than to go for scientifically proven and time tested remedies. That why giloy,doda paneer, okra etc. so popular. If any harm comes ,no body's is saying that. 99% of failures would not be reported while a single success even a partial one, will be blown out of proportion.

• that is what exactly happens.

i saw in Imphal in front of a booth clinic ,

a board.

'incurable hospital'

what the doctor meant was

he takes up only incurable diseases.

if he cures a disease the news goes high.

if the 99 persons die,so what.

no one knows because ,others also failed. it was incurable.

You may also like...