Controlling Diabetics - Misconceptions and facts

Most diabetic patients on medication say that their BS count is under control. But how ? The normal blood count on fasting should be between 70-110. Counting from both ends, the average is 90, which is to be treated as normal and 90+ is nearing the boundary. This count with taking sweet dishes or fruits or root vegetables (like potato) atleast once in a week going upto 100 could be said to be normal; as it could be brought down by avoiding these totally. Again but how ? A patient taking two counts of tablets or insulin or more with a count of more than 100 cannot at all be considered as under control since the intake of tablets or insulin has to be increased subsequently on prolonged treatment which will add to side effects. Therefore, it is a misconception to state that the FBS count of a patient with 110+ is under control. The fact and safe presumption is that a FBS count could be considered as under control when it is below 100 with one tablet or equal insulin.

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • A non diabetes man has a sugar level of around 110mg/DL and mostly below 120 at all times whether fasting or PP, depending upon the time of sampling. . A lower limit for ideal man to consider he is non diabetes or he has full control over his dabetes because of his fasting sugar remains @ or around 90 is not a correct version of definition of better sugar control ; so also the PP sugar at 120 mg/DL can also not correct. The fluctuations between fasting and PP should be marginal but within 120 mg /DL will be considered as good control.

• Good control for a diabetic is what avoids cellular damage. When BGL spikes above 140 at any time, these damages start.

Moreover FBS is never a good indicator of control because FBS goes bad only at last... before that lot of damage is already done. Better indicator is PPBS (both 1 hr and 2 hr). Those who control aggressively keep 1 Hr PPBS below 140 and 2 Hr PPBS below 120 which then gradually gets down to range below 100. Stated alternatively, A1C less than 5.4 is said to be great control because above 5.4 risks of CVD start increasing more and more.

From point of view of ogtt here's a compilation of great data

rajeun.net/gtt.html

The graphs are self explanatory. Sharp glucose crashes are also bad as that push one to overeat and into hunger pangs which again only worsens the control.

• Lab readings of A1C below 6 % are generally dubbed as 'non-diabetic' . Is it correct ?

• No.

Below 5.7 is non diabetc

• for diabetics the recommended sugar levels are less that 130 -fasting. and less than 180 pp.

• Nope. It' s 70-110 for fbs and 140 max for ppbs (2hrs)

• I have just taken my first ever self readings for fbs and ppbs. They have come in at 130 and 146 resp. The second reading of 146 was taken two hours after a very heavy meal in a restaurant which included kebabs, tikkas, murgh makhani, parathas, daal and kulfi. Two questions :- 1) Are the readings very bad ?? 2) These are home meter readings. What would they correspond to if done in a lab ?? Thanks much for any help offered.

• I wouldn't consider the readings bad. They would correspond to 15% lower approximately. Could vary. Maybe 2 or 3 times do test in lab (PPBS) and meter for comparing.

• Thanks very much, Anup, much obliged. Yes, I will do more or less simultaneous tests for comparing. Good idea. Thanks.

• Yes

• what are the levels acceptable where no medication is necessary

• The standard accepted level of FBS is 70-110. Any higher level should be controlled. Initially diet restrictions with proper exercises and avoiding any stress in the life style may be tried. If the reading comes down, good. Otherwise, medication is necessary as continued reading above 110 may land in problems resulting in a heart attack.

• You are absolutely right about Heart attacks and BGL levels.

Her's a link from my preferred site which is maintained by a diabetic herself:

phlaunt.com/diabetes/159458...

• A1C below 5.5 and as close as possible to 5.0.

If someone says that it is impossible for people on medicines/insulin to do that then Dr Bernstein lives in range of 4.5 and 5.0 and he is type 1 since age of 12 and now 80+

Nothing is impossible if there's a resolve to do it.

• I AM DOING VESTIGEdistributor PLEASE JOIN WITH ME PLEASE CALLME MY MOBILE NUMBER IS 9894171954 I WILL EXPECT YOUIR REPLY MY POSTAL ADDRESS IS MR. I.INNACIMUTHU,50/6A,SUNDARAVELPURAM 2nd STREET THOOTHUKUDI, TAMILNADU PIN -628002 INDIA . MY YOUNGER BROTHER I.ARULRAJ IS ECONOMICALLY WEAK .HE IS WORKING AS A LABOUR .FOR ADDITIONAL INCOME HE IS DOING VESTIGE MLM BUISNESS .IF YOU WANT TO HELP MR I.ARULRAJ YOU WILL JOIN IN MLM BUISNESS . HIS ID NUMBER is 86227184 PLEASE USE THIS ID FOR JOINING IN VESTIGE. OR YOU PURCHASE THINGS IN VESTIGE STOCK POINT UNDER MY BROTHER I.ARULRAJ ID 86227184 .STOCK POINT ADDRESS for your local area YOU CAN SEE IN myvestige.com IN VESTIGE OFFICE YOU WILL PURCASE ALL HOME NEED BASIC THINGS.MY EMAIL IS innaci@gmail.COM neemoil soap Rs 30, neem oil capsules for sugar patients 100 cap Rs 250 neemoil paste Rs50 ,250 gm TEA POWDER Rs 85 in the same way for 45 things .ALL are very very cheapest rate YOU DO NOT FORGET GETTING A BILL IN THE ABOVE ID No FOR YOUR PURCHASE .PLEASE HELP ME BY YOU’RE MY BROTHER SONS EDUCATION CHENNAI vestige OFFICE PHONE 04432986616

Vestige Marketing Pvt. Ltd.,Kasthuri Apartment, Ground Floor,,6th lane, Dr. Radhakrishnan Salai, Mylopre,Chennai,Tamil Nadu,600004

You may also like...