I'm not sure where to put this, if you think it should be elsewhere please let me know.
I’m a 26 year old female who has just moved to Leeds for a new job.
I’ve had health problems for about 6-7 years and around three years ago I was sent for a lot of tests, including a gastroscopy and colonoscopy, to identify why I was having problems with vertigo, nausea, constant migraines, and fainting spells. The Doctors decided these problems were due to problems with my ears / balance system (causing vertigo and fainting) and my birth control pill (causing migraines, silent migraines and nausea).
In the past year or two I’ve been having the following problems:
- light-headed and feeling faint
- nausea in the morning
- tired all the time
- low energy
- general weakness
- cold, especially in my hands, arms and legs
- aches, especially in my hands, arms and legs
- I sweat excessively
- my eyes go blurry / I struggle to focus on things
- inability to concentrate
- frequent outbursts of vaginal thrush
These generally have improved when I eat something sugary.
However, over the past few weeks I’ve found these symptoms have been much worse. The increase in the severity of the symptoms started when I started to exercise more (zumba and squash once a week + daily walks) and I tried to lower the amount of chocolate and fizzy drinks in my diet and replaced these with fruit, yoghurt and water. I have since retracted back to the old diet, but the symptoms are still severe, and eating sugary food/drink is no longer helping (it used to work as a quick-fix).
I’ve had to take some time off work and the symptoms are often unbearable.
I’ve had blood tests done for diabetes and other common causes of these problems and they came back negative. I’ve also been tested for diabetes previously (at my old Doctors).
I saw a new Doctor for the results today – I’ve only been at this practice for around 2 months and I’d never seen her before – and she was very unhelpful. She hadn’t read my file, didn’t know about the blood tests, and didn’t listen to much that I said (she kept interrupting me to talk about other things). She said that I need to learn to live with my symptoms and there are no further tests they can do (she listed four and said that if they were fine, I am fine – they were diabetes, anemia, liver function tests, and another I’ve forgotten).
- I eat healthily, with the exception of being in the habit of eating sugary foods to prevent these symptoms. I have requested to see a dietician so they can help me lower my sugar intake.
- I’m happy, not overly anxious or stressed. I’ve just started a new job and finally living with my boyfriend & dog in a lovely new house.
- I'm not overweight. I'm a 24.8 on the BMI scale. However, I have been overweight in the past.
- I do also catch "bugs" etc. easily. If someone has a cold or a flu, I generally get it.
I know my diabetes test results came back negative, but is there anything else sugar-related that this could be? Has anyone had similar problems? Should I consider seeing a private GP – are they generally more helpful? Are there any specific tests I could request?
Thank you for any help, I am desperate to find the cause of these problems.