Birthday money to spend-what kit do I really "need"?

I am nearly there, having completed wk 8 today. And I'm thinking of celebrating my graduation with some new kit. I have a bit of birthday money to spend so what running kit would you recommend?

At the moment I have decent trainers but everything else is v old, especially my Dad's airtex!!

What kit is worth having and what is nice to have?

16 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Its up to you as there is a huge choice! But after decent trainers and a very very firm sports bra (am very curvaceous unfortunately!) I then bought 3/4 capri tights, and a nice wicking thin long sleeve running top, and a cap with a big peak, and kitted up like this I suddenly felt just like a "proper" runner and it definitely put a spring in my step! Then I bought a good windproof showerproof jacket (the only really waterproof ones seem to be far to expensive) Once I graduated I bought a rather pricey Garmin Fore runner with heart rate monitor as my graduation gift to myself! I just can't stop buying running stuff now lol!

• ha. I just put exactly the same things. great minds think alike :)

• Sounds like it must be a good list then!

• Hi Deryn

Thanks for your help

Do you mind me asking what brand of bra you chose? I should really invest in a new one as I'm changing shape!

Also why 3/4 Capri tights? Don't your legs get cold? Sorry if that is a really dumb question, but I have often wondered...

A long sleeve wicking running top makes me feel snuggly just typing it. So that will have to go on the list

As for a garmin, I think that will have to wait till I have convinced myself I am a "real runner". I can't quite believe I've got this far let alone will actually graduate!!

• Ask away!

Re bras - I have used Shock Absorber for decades (always been a large girl and when I got really overweight I just couldnt find a comfy bra, so even though I wasnt running that was my bra of choice, had to sacrifice style for comfort/control for years! They are not cheap, this is the style I buy figleaves.com/uk/product/BB...

But definitely try them on before you buy if possible, I am in a completely different size in this bra to my "every day" bras - now I can wear pretty ones again :-)

As for the legs, I was wearing very thin leggings when I started C25K (usually ones costing about £5 from Sainsbury or Tesco) to start with and my thighs and bottom used to get cold but it was only noticeable when I stopped running. I then invested in quite snug "firm" spandexy Adidas 3/4 capris and find these are fine. I have never felt cold on my legs whilst running. I recently bought a longer pair and wore them once, and although it was a frosty night my legs felt too warm once I had warmed up, so I am keeping them for very very cold weather!

Of course you will graduate, start planning which Garmin you want to buy lol!

• Thanks for the great advice, the shops are calling and if Amazon do another great offer on the Garmin, I might just have to get one!

• My garmin was a pressie to myself for graduating too! I just love my running cap and same as you Andrea, I feel like a real, proper, grown up runner when kitted out!!

Sx

• airtex!! I remember that from school ~ the white tshirt that ended up not so white.

worth having ~ some nice running socks :) & some wicking leggings (if you sweat anything like me you end up looking like you have wet yourself in normal jogging bottoms). I would definately recommend clothing designed for running, a long sleeved tshirt & longer leggings now that the weather is getting chilly. my long sleeves normally end up pushed up my arms after a couple of minutes but it is nice to have them for my cool down walk home.

as a "nice" treat to have, a garmin forerunner 110 watch gadget. great as you can see just how far you have gone whilst you are running, as well as the other things it tells you.

& my latest thing is a baseball cap. perfect for those wet & windy runs to keep the rain & wind off your face.

good luck with the rest of the plan. bet you are itching to get your graduation badge :)

• Thanks Shelly

I think the airtex was white once....but that was a long time ago!

What do running socks do?

I think you're right now is the time to invest in some proper kit, so leggings and top are a definate. I never thought I'd look forward to buying sports kit!!

• Some running socks will give extra support in specific areas - you'll notice they are labelled R & L so you get them on the correct feet. You can also get double skinned ones that help to avoid blisters - the idea is that any friction occurs between the two layers of sock, rather than rubbing your skin into a blister. I treated myself to some after a long run ended up with blisters and losing a toenail - I haven't had any blisters since. I got RunBreeze socks from Amazon, they weren't very expensive.

You will feel a lot more comfortable in proper running leggings and top but you don't have to spend a fortune - I get most of my kit from Sports Direct. If you're going to be running in the dark, invest in something hi-vis. The vests are very inexpensive or you can simply buy reflective armbands, even ones with little LED disco lights ;-)

• I'll try to get to sports direct tomorrow. Loving the idea of disco lights on my arms!!!

• I agree with all the above! The correct socks are a must in my book, after the running bra (shock absorber) and the shoes. Cap is good for rain or beanie for the cold. High viz jacket for dark days/nights; any tops that are wicking; capris for warmer weather and long tights for colder. Gloves too!! I have a Garmin forerunner watch too and that was my pressie to myself for graduating!

Sports Direct are good and also try More Mile online - good socks and thermal tops/tights at reasonable prices. Shopping for running gear is my new pastime!!!

Happy shopping! Sue

• Thanks Sue

I've just had a look and seen there is a Sports Direct quite near me. I've got my wk9r1 tomorrow, so I'll see if I can fit in a trip there first!

• Hope the run goes well and not long to graduation!

• Nothing new to add ... definitely the sports bra, Shock Absorber are brilliant, and I like my socks - Karrimor from Sports Direct ... but it made me happy reading about all those shopping opportunities! All the best for Week 9 :)

• If you are fairly big busted, I would recommend the Pananche sports bra (style 5021). It's pricey as all sports bras are, but definatly worth the money.

You may also like...