Help - The air is getting too cold for me to breathe when I run, any tips??

I love running outside (I end up getting wobbly on treadmills) but as its getting colder I am finding the cold air hurts my lungs when I jog, does anyone else have this problem or any ideas how I can still run now the weather isn't so nice? I can cope with dark and rain and would hate to give up jogging for the winter.

Thanks!

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I have a similar problem in the winter time, I just do an extra long warm up walk to get my lungs used to the cold air before I have to start the heavy breathing!

• When I'm cycling in the cold air, I cover my mouth - and nose - with a buff. Buffs are made from thin, wickable material which allows your breath to pass through easily and they don't go all clammy like other scarves.

buffwear.co.uk/index.php?ro...

They are easy to wash and dry - I just bung them in the machine with my cycling shirts and they dry in next to no time.

• I ran with a buff round my ears tonight, so that I could use it over my mouth if it got too cold. In the end I got a bit too hot, and ended up with it on my wrist.

• Thanks swanscot, I had never heard of a buff. I just ordered one off amazon. I only wish I had it on saturday when I went running along the fell in the snow and biting wind! What a fount of information this forum is. Cheers again!

• Thanks swanscot - exactly what I have been looking for, just off to order one!

• Thanks a lot! Ordered one, can't wait to get back out there!

• I can recommend Lungplus. Warms up the air but as important also moistens it. You will look pretty weird but it works. I got one last winter and used for running, biking and skiing.

lungplus.fi

You may also like...