The great outdoors

After a naughty day yesterday when I didn't make it up off the couch to do week 3 run 2 as planned, I pulled my socks up today.

I had previously decided to do an extra run outside to keep my hand in so I wouldn't (hopefully) get to the end of 9 weeks on the treadmill just to find outdoors impossible.

I had planned to do all 3 runs of any given week indoors to keep up momentum and spirits but tack on an extra outdoor run from the previous week, as I had tried week 1 at the end of indoors week 1 and didn't quite manage it..so I'd carry on from there.

Or so I thought but I hadn't followed through with this plan yet as I was so pleased to get through week 2 and eager to get onto week 3, and what with the weather and, well, you know, that I just kept going indoors. Habits, huh?

Until yesterday when I fell off the programme, didn't move a muscle all day and ate 2 whole iced buns to top off the naughtiness. Sometimes you just need a naughty day.

So today I thought let's do that outdoor run. I went to the other park...the runners' park. I'm lucky enough to have 2 great parks one next to the other within 5 - 10 mins from my door. First attempts at outdoor runs had been in the nearer one which undulates a bit and has potholey bits of path.

But then I walked round the other park I noticed loads of runners, And I understood why....it's pretty flat and the path that runs around the exterior is earth, so a bit nicer ( in good weather) to run on than tarmac or paving stones.

Got myself down there and kept to a week 1 run. Though my legs are still giving me gip when I walk they weren't so bad when I ran. It was warm, not too hot, lovely breeze and plenty to look at. And nobody seemed to pay slow, sweaty, red-faced me any attention.

I will definitely be running outdoors again.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Well done for getting out there

You may also like...