Trying to speed up.....countdown to Sportrelief 3 miles

I've just done w7r1 tonight and decided to try a couple of higher-speed intervals during my 25 mins to get myself running a bit faster - after all, I'd already done 25 mins on wk6r3. Hmmmm. Did NOT feel great - I completed the run but my lungs felt they were bursting out of my chest most of the time. (It doesn't help that there are a couple of hills on my route). The interesting thing was that my legs were fine at the end - it was just my lungs - whereas when I first did the 25mins my legs were like jelly when I got home! So I seem to have made some progress - and I did almost complete 3k in my 25 mins, which is more than last time..... But I probably worked harder than at any other time during C25K.

I wouldn't normally be worried about going faster - it's just that I'm doing Sportrelief 3 miles in 2 weeks' time and don't want to be unprepared and have a miserable day.

Any tips, lovely C25K-ers? Is this just too soon to be trying intervals?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • No tips but I'm on week8 and also signed up for 3miles - haven't tried intervals but maybe I should? It's a fun run though so I'm not going to pressure myself too much. Good luck!

• Like Scaly said, It's a fun run type thingy isn't it, so just go with it and enjoy the feeling :) Well done for signing up, I should get off my fat backside and do the same ;)

• Well done for being able to speed up, that's really impressive. I just finished the same run and I think challenging yourself so its not monotonous is a good idea. Maybe just do a little bit of speeding up 2 2mins or something. :)

You may also like...