Couch to 5K
65,321 members โ€ข 98,693 posts

The zone vs running cheat

After many more weeks than 9, I do believe I've actually got to graduation. Can't believe it.!!

Actually I really finished my week 9 a couple of weeks ago. But even after that last run it just felt so very hard, really hard, no matter how slow. And I run with my dogs and had to stop to hold them for other runners to pass so I kinda felt that was a running cheat.

I've been doing 3 runs a week since, very slooooow , but pushing through the mental chatter and toxic 10 which try and dissuade. Before every run I have to psych myself up, it would be so easy to give up. And yesterday was no different with plenty of mental grumbles until about 20mins in.

And then I realised that I was just fine plodding along, and then at 30 I realised I was still fine , same at 35 ( which I've done a few times just getting to 4K) so I carried on because I bizarrely could and of course it was cooler than any running day for the last 8 weeks.

So I clocked in at 5 K in 45mins and stopped for fear of having some bit of me breakdown or drop off! So I feel I really have achieved my initial goal now, not that it was 5k but that I found a place where it was good and rewarding to be running and I was very happy to get a glimpse of that.

THANK YOU for all your support on here...I am totally sure I would have given up without it.

11 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

Well done ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ†!!

I always find that my legs take on a new life around the 4k mark and i get a whole new second wind. Sadly by then im usually so close to home and dont want to have to walk too far to get back ๐Ÿ˜‚

1 like

Thank you! Who knew that there was life after 4K. In fact when I started I was sure there was no possibility of surviving longer than 90 seconds ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Huge well done you.. go get your badge and carry on to the party :)

healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

There is so much to choose from as you move on from here too :)

1 like

Thank you Oldfloss, will do ๐Ÿ˜Š

Wooooww! Thatโ€™s lovely to read, I am so pleased for you. A depth of integrity resulted in justified self-satisfaction - wonderful ๐ŸŽ“๐ŸŽ“๐ŸŽ“๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ

1 like

Thank you Equi-geek! Honestly even tho I have struggled with my running , it hasn't stopped me being as smug as a smug thing after each and every one ๐Ÿคฃ

Congratulations ๐ŸŽˆ๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽˆ Finding your running happy place is special and a great feeling to call on when needed. That badge will look good against your name - apply for it pronto ๐Ÿ˜„

Edited as after posting I got a server error and the balloons had become angry faces ๐Ÿ˜ณ

1 like

Cheers Annie! Made me laugh. ..Thanks for the edit๐Ÿคฃ

1 like

Whoop whoop whoop, brilliant journey! A great running success, claim that shiny badge graduate๐Ÿ…๐ŸŽ“

1 like

Thank you Milslie-j!

Well done! And I know how you feel! I finished the 9 weeks around a month ago and I am stuck at the 30 min mark! My brain is like โ€˜you donโ€™t need to carry on Sanjeev is not around to crack the whip!โ€™ And each time I run I have to remind myself that that spare tyre will soon re appear If I donโ€™t get out there!!

Youโ€™re not alone in the battle!

You may also like...